The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reputable Sales?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shtoink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reputable Sales? Reply with quote

Is there a list of known people that are reputable for buying a Curta from? eBay seems a mixed bag and then there's places like Craigslist. It seems like there are plenty of people who are very misinformed about the Curta they are selling or just outright full of lies.

I suppose it's very possible to get super lucky and stumble upon one for cheap or someone who is very honest, but I'd like to minimize my chances of getting screwed over. I don't to look for, good or bad, when it comes to one of these things. Reading through the scam section helps, but it's not the whole story and certainly not a replacement for knowledge and experience. I'm not even sure what a fair price would be or how to take condition into consideration for the value.

It'd be nice to know who here, or anywhere else, is a trustworthy person to deal with so I don't need to stress about all the things I don't when the time comes to being able to purchase a Curta.
crossy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Buying a curta Reply with quote

I've going thur this trying to buy one for my grandson.If you find a good site ,would you post it
Pete

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I've bought quite a few myself.

eBay is indeed a mixed bag, but their "always side with the buyer" policy really does give you a huge advantage. I must have bought eight or nine Curtas on eBay, never a problem, and some I did indeed get fairly cheap, through luck I guess. But there's really no such thing as a really cheap Curta, unless you find one at an estate sale or something. Anyone who Googles, "Curta" will quickly find what they're worth.

Jack Christensen has, or used to have, a dozen or so for sale - he fixes them, so the ones he sells are guaranteed to work, which is a comfort. But Curtas are by design tough and durable - every one of mine works perfectly, without needing a servicing (I've cleaned and lubricated a couple but that's all). Jack's Curtas are quite a bit more expensive than even the eBay Frenchman's, whether the added cost for the guarantee is worth it is up to you. http://home.comcast.net/~timewise1/curta/curtasforsale.html

I'd aim at a Type II for $700 or a Type I for $800 (the all-metal ones maybe a little more). Anything $100 less than that you're doing well. More than $200 above that, unless it's an unusual variant, you're paying too much IMO. Best of luck guys.

EDIT: Prices are for excellent-to-mint condition machines, per the ratings scale on the website above. Beat-up or repaired machines would be worth a lot less, but then you have to pay $500 to get it fixed, not worth it IMO.
davhamm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
Are these price numbers still a decent indicator?
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USD I'd say they hold true today, sure. Sold listings on the bay show I'm not far off. But please note that I think the Frenchman is "making the market" by buying any machine he thinks he can resell for over $1000, you'll notice the majority of Curtas for sale are (a) expensive by our lights and (b) being sold by that one guy. I wouldn't buy from him, I'd get a sniping program instead and watch eBay for a couple of months, then pounce on a cheap one located not far from where you live. Alternatively, if you were to find yourself in Toronto Canada I would sell you an excellent-condition Type 1 machine, correct canister, and instructions, for USD850 cash, with pleasure. But I refuse to ship, so dunno if you'd be interested.

[http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=curta%20calculator&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684][/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: