The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Component of the Week: Crank Arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davhamm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Component of the Week: Crank Arm Reply with quote

Guess I am taking a top down approach. I know little here, there are several types of metal and several types of plastic? or only 1 plastic? different or same type 1 to type 2? Are all within a type interchangable? Then there is that metal knurlled handle on the end or is that a different item?
murff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know...

There are different types of the complete crank:
with metal crank arm
- at least two different lengths
- without or with a white arrow
- hole for the conus pin on the left or in front of the crank arm (0 or 90 degree)
- with blank metal or red painting (for subtraction position)

with plastic crank arm
--- the plastic is called Delrin
--- only one type of plastic crank arm (?)

The position of the hole for mounting on the main shaft differs between the plastic and metal type - so it's not interchangeable. Also the knurled handle is not compatible because the axle is not exactly the same.
Gary Nivaggi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has long stumped me...

Initially the metal cranks on those earliest units, both type I and type II, had NO arrow markings...soon however, the arrows were present on these metal cranks.

The plastic cranks, on both I and II have had arrow markings from the beginning and in all these examples, the angular orientation of the arrow appears consistent.

I've even placed a temporary arrow on my early type I to try and determine what purpose the arrow would serve during operation, but sadly have no clue yet.

Help...am I missing something??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: