The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leather cases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Leather cases Reply with quote

A quick note - looking in "Mathematical Handbook - An Aid to Every Day Figuring Problems, Tables, Formulas, Arithmetical Rules" (printed by The CURTA Company, Van Nuys, CA) there is a reference to four different leather cases for the Curta - #1 and #S1 for a type 1 without canister and with canister respectively; #2 and #S2 for a type 2 without canister and with canister respectively.

Just in case anyone was wondering whether their leather case was original.

The same booklet notes that each and every Curta is sold with the plastic/metal canister, so I guess those listed without it but WITH the leather case are incomplete items.

The booklet does not specify whether the leather was offered by the factory in Liechtenstein or whether it was an accessory offered by the American office only...anyone have a European-bought Curta with the leather case?
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for resurrecting a long dormant thread. I have a Type II that came with a 'no canister' bespoke leather case with 'MADE IN SWITZERLAND' embossed on the base. The case is very nicely made, the calculator sits in it very well. The original canister is presumably long gone but I don't really mind.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about "bespoke", I think the leather case was an option with new machines, at least in North America. Here are a couple I have - both say TOP GRAIN COWHIDE MADE IN U.S.A. on the bottom (actually it looks like the same stamp was used for both!) and if the smaller one isn't made to the same pattern as yours, I'll be a monkey's uncle

http://imgur.com/a/7BDjF
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly similar to the original US leather case, particularly in the manner that the strap threads through, however there is no belt loop and it has a tuck clasp rather than a popper. These coupled with the 'Made in Switzerland' made me wonder whether it was a one-off.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right about the one-off, but they look awfully similar, from the stitching to the colour. And the popper in mine has detached from the body of the case - that tuck clasp might be a later version after they figured that bit out! Doubtless other leather case owners will chime in eventually...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: