The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repair ? stuck - shake fixed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davhamm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Repair ? stuck - shake fixed? Reply with quote

Hi, on one of my Type 2's if I do a tens test the subtraction works fine, but from 9999.. I add 1 and about 1/2 way through the crank it jambs but if I shake the curta it continues on fine.

Any idea whats wrong? something I could attempt to fix, or send it in for service?

Crying or Very sad
murff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the tens-carrying mechanism...

I assume that there is some dirt / dust inside / around the mechanism (ten carry lever , ten carry spring, ...).
The Curta should be used regularly like a watch - otherwise the fine mechanism begins to stuck... (and with shaking it runs temporary)

So first of all try to clean it... if nothing is brocken (e.g. a spring) then it schould running smoothly afterthere.
davhamm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Try cleaning it " This worries me. I hear all about needing jigs and things to put it back together. How far apart can I go before, I have gone to far? Any video's or step by step pics?
murff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no risc no fun Very Happy

but serious...
here is a step by step disassembly:
http://www.vcalc.net/disassy/

You have to go until step 14 (..."Now you can see the entire ten carry mechanism")

And you need some fitting tools - especial for the small circlip.

But - if you're not sure... don't touch it...
davhamm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
Found another site with a bit more detailed step by step. But the pics are not as good http://home.teleport.com/~gregsa/curta/disas/index.htm

Shipping to Italy seems expensive or risky. Not sure which way I am going to go. Just won a type 1 in the 10000 range, not many pics and as I guessed it's in rough shape so it needs to go in for a deep cleaning. Need to contact seller and see what they want to do (sold as in excellent shape). May just send both off to Italy.
davhamm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose to be getting a few hundred back on the type 1. Was hoping to ship both units off to Italy Monday but wont ship till I have the money back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: