The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 sent to Italy from US -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Services
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davhamm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: 2 sent to Italy from US - Reply with quote

Thought I would attempt to document my experience as it happens. I had one curta type II that would catch sometime on the add part of the tens test. After much looking it appears CurtaServices.it may be the only one doing repairs anymore (Scary or Opportunity if someone wants to venture out) Contacted Romano via email and always received fast detailed replies (with time difference and the fact I am usually a late nighter I would send out email, and get reply in the morning) He explianed how people in the past had shipped things and it went well.

In this same time I bought another older type I (10xxx) unfortunetly when it arrived I found it in bad shape, negotiated a price drop and decided to keep it and send both off for repair.

Then came the how to ship. After much looking and debating, I decided not to use a middle man (though the cost was nearly half for Fedex) just to many issues if something goes wrong, since they not you are technically the shipper.

Decided on using the US postal service - printed the custom documentation from the web (thought I was getting the postage paid then but messed something up) so I went to the post office, and the clerk eventually figured out what to do. Unfortunately It went Priority not Priority express so instead of 3-5days its 6-10. (cost was $50 should have been $67 if Priority express). (I had some medical procedures done in the middle of shipping all this and really was not on my game so some of this confusion is all my own) Using the Custom # I can track it, so, now we wait. Sent Romano an email that the package is in the mail. I have pics of the 2 units but not sure worth posting here.
davhamm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have arrived and are in his hands. He is gone this weekend, but said I should get an estimate on Wed.
davhamm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news no broken parts. A few carry springs need to be fixed. Type 2 had been oiled so although not very dirty needs a cleaning. the Type 1 is dirty needs a good cleaning and he will replace the missing rubber in both the bottom and top of the can that are missing.

Yeah.
murff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to a happy end of this novel Very Happy
davhamm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they are done and ready to ship back. Going in the Mail Jan 2nd Decided to wait till after the holidays.

Great communication, there was something stuck on one of them, and he asked if I wanted it removed or not.

Cost ( at the time the conversion was about 0.96Us=1 euro), Shipping via post office was $50US. I put a low declared value to keep the import duty low (note this will be passed back to you) Since i declared a very low it was $20 Euro (I put a declared value of about $60 on them combined they tax on shipping cost plus declared value). Shipping back from Italy $40 Euro. Total due was $400 euro, sent via paypal friend transfer, using money pulled from checking account so no additional fee, there was the currency exchange fee. To get him $400 Euro, it cost me $438 US dollars. So my total cost to get 2 cleaned was $488 US dollars. (I am pretty sure there will be no duty or tax when I get it). The actual cleaning was $340 Euro.

I am providing the detailed cost break down for others, as this was something I was concerned/wondering about. Really not to bad, but I did have to put a very low value on the shipping insurance) If your in the EU there is no import tax.

Should have them by the 10th at the latest. Probably sooner. For me the shipping there and back are the most stressful.

Will take some pics to post. I took some before shots, with my phone, the level of dirt on the type 1 I sent does not show up well.

Will do some unboxing pics when they arrive.
davhamm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipped Jan 2nd arrived in Michigan Jan 5th. Wow that was fast.

Both are in great shape. Very happy. Will try to take some pics but not much to see but very clean machines. Amazing how they operate now.

Thumbs up to this service. Very Happy.
mpechner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: customs forms Reply with quote

Need help on how to correctly fill it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Services All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: