The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you store your manuals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt A. Calculator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: How do you store your manuals? Reply with quote

When I received my original Curta with canister, box, and two manuals (Your Curta and Computing Examples) - - the two manuals were loosely curled around the canister with many dog-eared edges. I took them out and carefully straightened the folds and pressed them in a large book to restore them to flatness.

My question is, how do others store their manuals?

I currently still have mine pressed in the book, but I can just imagine that over the fullness of time forgetting where they are and them being eternally separated from the Curta. Is it best just to neatly curl them back around the canister as they originally came, or is there another good approach?
davhamm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found an easy solution to this for all the Curta's I have bough so far. None of them came with manuals, so no problem.
Curt A. Calculator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would offer to ship mine to you, but then you'd just have the same problem as me.
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Curtas are in a display cabinet, as are the manuals. The curl enables them to stand upright as part of the backdrop along with copies of the blueprints and an old advertisement.
murff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My manuals are in plastic sleeves - and some of them are online

From a view of long time archival storage an acid free paper envelope would be the best (plastic contains emollient which can be bad for old papers...)
Curt A. Calculator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010*smiths wrote:
My Curtas are in a display cabinet, as are the manuals. The curl enables them to stand upright as part of the backdrop along with copies of the blueprints and an old advertisement.

Now that's a glass half full!

I think I'm going to accept the curl like you, and just slip them into a thin acid free envelope as murff suggested, and return them to their embrace of the Curta canister in their Curta box. Curta's are a treasurable physical object which will almost certainly be traded back and forth a millenia from now - - it would be all too easy for the manuals to get separated from the set and lost in the mists of time.
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt A. Calculator wrote:

Now that's a glass half full!

That's the way that I roll, and don't unroll Very Happy
Curt A. Calculator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we ever truly owners of our Curtas? Or merely short-term biological stewards in their long-term mechanical existence? Curta!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: