The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

resources to evaluate / value condition of Curta Type

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swelltimes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: resources to evaluate / value condition of Curta Type Reply with quote

Hi all -

I've got a Type 1 Curta that was my dad's, and I'd like to find it a new home, with someone who'll appreciate it.

Thanks to this website, and some others, I've learned more about these units.

Before I get ahead of myself, I'm wondering if there are any resources that the forum would recommend to me, through which I can get a better sense of the condition and value of this Curta?

Thanks,

Steve
murff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... and of course, post this all to the board (from pm conversation)

... here is my estimation:

- the clearing lever was bent (from a crash...?) so it's no longer round (circular):

- the clearing lever was then bent back - the aluminum is slightly ripped:

>>>> this means that a repair is necessary

- the overall looking is OK - the Curta needs a cleaning and lubrication

>>>> the value is about US$ 500.00
swelltimes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can see that the handle is slightly out of round.

The finish on the handle shows some damaged from whatever happened to it, but the aluminum isn't ripped.

Is this part replaceable, and why does this cosmetic issue decrease the estimated value by half?
Rubberswan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t seen any Curta in any condition sell for anywhere near as little as $500 recently. Perhaps murff’s estimate reflects what he would like to pay for it...
murff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a known fact that a thin element like the clearing lever made from Anticorodal (an aluminum alloy) will be lost the consistency if it was bent - and bent back.
So, this is not primary a cosmetic issue - it's more an issue of the future stability. It's likely that it will break, once you slightly bend it, accidentally.

The US$ 500 estimation sounds hard, but these days there are not so many replacement parts around (you need the complete set...)

- and you have to find someone who will repair it... !
swelltimes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well thanks for clarifying. I understand what you're saying about the metal being weakened on the lever.

I suppose I'll post it on eBay, and let the market decide what it's worth after looking at the pictures, etc.
murff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curta 47383 sold for

US $1,000.00

. . .
davhamm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murff wrote:
Curta 47383 sold for

US $1,000.00

. . .

Ok, this thread was like reading one side of a discussion. Many things seem to be missing.

Is 47383 the one in the one pic above?

The one pic above was not enough to estimate EBay sale price, but yeah, your $500 quote was WAY off base. If the rest of it looked ok, the can was in decent shape, I would have said $1000. That seems to be the going rate on Ebay for a no big issue (we know the damage ring is an issue, but most ebay buyers are not so well informed)

Just went to the ebay auction sold as a Buy it now at $1000. had an original box, but the box number didn't match the unit. A bit surprised the BIN went at $1000 can looked pretty beat up. Pics were not the best but what they showed seem to show well. Seller should be happy to get $1k, in a straight ebay auction with the wrong box (wonder how many would notice) I would have estimate the hammer price $900 - $1200
murff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
your $500 quote was WAY off base

and
Quote:
(we know the damage ring is an issue, but most ebay buyers are not so well informed)

that means?

--- you would buy the Curta for US $1000?
or
--- you think, only the "not so well informed" should pay that amount?

(and yes - 47383 is the Curta - as seen at eBay...)
davhamm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murff wrote:
Quote:
your $500 quote was WAY off base

and
Quote:
(we know the damage ring is an issue, but most ebay buyers are not so well informed)

that means?

--- you would buy the Curta for US $1000?
or
--- you think, only the "not so well informed" should pay that amount?

(and yes - 47383 is the Curta - as seen at eBay...)

It means I understand used markets, and that when someone asks, whats this worth, most times what they really want to know (since worth is an individual assessment) what do you think I can get someone to pay for this.

That Curta to you may well only be worth $500, but on ebay you can sell it for $900 - $1200 dollars, put it up and $500 and it will be sold in under a day probably under an hour.

So you may have answered what it was worth to you, I would have answered what it would sell for on ebay.

EDIT to add -- I bet you could part it out and get well over $100 heck the can alone seems to be a deal at $250 these days.
murff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for additional statement...
You're right, the value of a Curta is individual. There is ratio of what I paid to what I could get at eBay (in my collection this ratio is better than 1:2) - this means, I almost never paid a speculative price.

So maybe this explains my more lower estomation, too Very Happy
swelltimes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all -

I'm the original poster of this thread, and just wanted to clear things up, for the sake of future discussions / research, etc.

I sold #47383 for $1000 USD, only a few hours after I listed it on eBay. I never mentioned anything about the original box, only the associated manuals / info that I had with it. You can see the listing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Curta-Type-1-Calculator-w-Case-2-X-Instructions-Computing-Examples-Booklet/132526459616

Since this was a piece of family history, and something that I know other folks appreciate more than I do, I queried this forum to find out more information about it.

I wasn't looking to fleece anyone by selling for more than market value, or get fleeced for $500 for the unit, either.

So, from my side of the story, I posted up, learned some info, and then decided to let the free market decide what the unit was worth.

Thanks for the input from folks here.

Signing off,

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: