The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inherited a Curta Type 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeH14

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Inherited a Curta Type 1 Reply with quote

Hello,
I recently inherited a CURTA type 1 from my grandfather and had some questions about it. I plan on holding on to it for a while as I am captivated by its awesomeness but I do have questions about it's value. The thing is in beautiful condition with almost no indication that it had been used. Obviously I see how much they are valued at on ebay, but I have yet to see any that include all of the extras that I have, and I am not sure if these add to the value.
The Curta is a Type 1 model with a serial number 73644, The cardboard box that it comes is also stamped with the same serial number. Inside the box was the black plastic case, the Curta device itself, the original handwritten sales receipt from Kalamazo Michigan, the warranty card made out to my grandfather as well as the instruction manual. Any estimates of the value would be greatly appreciated!!!
davhamm

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what price your looking for.
I would say if you went to sell it $1000 - $1500 maybe more if in really good shape and you found the right buyer. Hard to say without seeing pics. If your looking for insurance value $2000-$4000
murff

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My incorruptible price calculator tells me US $847.00
davhamm

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murff wrote:
My incorruptible price calculator tells me US $847.00

Send me pics, If your description holds true, I'll buy it for US $850. -- then sell it on ebay for a tidy profit.
davhamm

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here 77410 sold for $1400 with no box or documentation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Curta-Calculator-Type-I-Liechtenstein-serial-77410-french-provenance-/183145509131
murff

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a collector - not a dealer... (I only rarely selling Curtas)
So, I let my Curta collection growing carefully and slowly. For this I defined a price structure which helps me to avoid buying Curtas in a too emotional and speculative way.

As a result, I almost never paid a price in the range as suggested above. I understand that dealers like the fast money, which is possible with selling Curtas at eBay... but this is not THE reference.

... happy collecting !
davhamm

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, When you get ready to sell yours at those prices please let me know first. If I got the money I'll buy your whole collection if you would really sell at the prices you keep qouting.

Most collectors put a higher than reality price on their things, where dealers sell lower to flip and make money fast.
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those eBay prices really are inflated but I suppose if some people are willing to pay them then that pushes up values. The most I've ever paid is $900 and that was for an early Type I with the pin setting knobs and original box.
murff

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, When you get ready to sell yours at those prices please let me know first.

... as I learned in school: selling and buying prices are not the same !
davhamm

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010*smiths wrote:
Those eBay prices really are inflated

Please explain what you mean, they seem to be the only fully open to the world open market. I think Ebay prices are a great place to establish prices off of.

Many "rare" collectables, lost a lot of value, when Ebay came around and every one found out these "rare" things were not so rare.

Anyhow, not sure what you mean that ebay prices are inflated, unless your not looking at the sold auctions, but if you look at the sold auctions that is the market price.
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davhamm wrote:
2010*smiths wrote:
Those eBay prices really are inflated

Please explain what you mean, they seem to be the only fully open to the world open market. I think Ebay prices are a great place to establish prices off of.

Many "rare" collectables, lost a lot of value, when Ebay came around and every one found out these "rare" things were not so rare.

Anyhow, not sure what you mean that ebay prices are inflated, unless your not looking at the sold auctions, but if you look at the sold auctions that is the market price.

There are many alternatives to eBay. Some sellers inflate their BiN prices to try to absorb the fees - I know of watch dealers who also have Etsy accounts where their prices are 10%-15% lower.

So in general, I'm talking about the ridiculous eBay BiN prices from certain dealers, and a few auctions that seem to get out of hand. Here's an inflated price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-CURTA-Calculator-TYPE-I-32962-VERY-GOOD-Cond-1956-/183144818484

The same seller has an Alpina up at $1,499 (+$39 shipping). I paid $1050 for mine in better condition and complete with stand (via an eBay auction by a private individual).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-ALPINA-Mechanical-Calculator-6012-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION/182777998706

I will choose bricks-and-mortar antique shops and private sales over eBay any day, prices that reflect murff's valuations, but it is worth keeping an eye open for those eBay auctions that do close on the button.
davhamm

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty clear, only look at SOLD auctions, there is a radial on the left that allows you to only see sold auctions. Those are the actual selling price, hence no inflation. Sure there are folks out there looking for someone who wants to get it immediately and they will always charge more for that convenience.

Are there other options and places to buy, sure. Some only buy local. If I did that I would not own a Curta yet, Heck I probably wouldn't even have held one yet, as it is by buying on online auctions I have bought 4, and know I can sell them all at or over $1000 on ebay.

I guess when someone ask's me what there curta is worth, I try to tell them a realistic price that they could get on ebay. Not what I am willing to buy it for, which is typically several hundred less.

Just trying to let people know a decent (not overvalued) price for their stuff, and not trying to get them to sell to me at a price I want - especially if its less than I know they can easily get elsewhere. I feel open an honest approach to help is the best in the long run.

I am sure if I spent my days going to garage sales I could find some in great shape for a song and dance, but that's not my thing, and realistically if I found one for $100 I would tell the seller, I am more than happy to buy it for that, but they could sell it on ebay very quickly for $800 or more. But thats just me.

I have learned a lot about Murff's online persona lately.
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply have a different valuation criteria to myself and murff, it's a well known phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_prices_and_ideal_prices#Valuation_criteria_in_pricing

I prefer to base a sales valuation on purchasing experiences and mid range 'sold' auctions whilst advising on the sales method to realise the best return possible. The seller might be pleasantly surprised if it ends up achieving more due to a bidding war or somebody happy to pay over the odds but those factors cannot be guaranteed.

With all of the extras the OP's machine could well achieve $1000+, particularly in the buoyant US market, but that's a lot for a late Type I with plastic crank and canister IMO. I paid $680 for a perfect '68 Type I with three booklets/manuals through an eBay (UK) auction. After eBay and PayPal fees and postage the seller would have seen less than $600. I couldn't say that the OP would definitely achieve over $400 more for the presence of the box and warranty card.

Here's an example of how eBay 'sold' prices often do not reflect reality. A Halden Calculex in perfect condition with instructions and pouch is worth £70 - £90. Several sold in this price range during the past 12 months. Then this happens: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-034-Haldens-Calculex-034-circular-slide-rule-by-J-Halden-amp-Co-Ltd-/382450804136
It's not even a complete example. Values haven't suddenly tripled, someone just got lucky with a bidding war.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: