The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curta serial numbers and yearly production quantity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Curta serial numbers and yearly production quantity Reply with quote

I like to announce the first time publication of the official factory records from Contina AG on my site curta.li:

Overview of the total production quantity Curta I & II

Enjoy!

Last edited by murff on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Peter Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murff,

thank you for some very interesting figures on a subject which has intrigued collectors for years. The thing which strikes me is the round number produced each year. Looking at the Curta II figures, I wonder whether it is likely that they produced to a whole number of hundreds every year. Do you have the start and end serial numbers for each year, or just the start numbers?

Not knowing what documentation you have, I ask whether it is possible that for some reason they started each year with number 5xxx21, with xxx being a sufficiently high number that they did not duplicate a previous year's number.

Taking 1966 for an example. They started with 533921. Then by my suggestion, the last number for 1965 could be in the range 533821 to 533920, both numbers inclusive. Either of those numbers, or any in between, would require 533921 to be the first for 1966, if the number fitted 5xxx21.
murff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list contains the first and the last of the yearly serial number. And I think Contina made a yearly plan so they were able to produce all the parts for the Curta (as we know they made nearly all parts at Contina with an exception of some standard srews).

So it sounds likely that they produced these lots and not any uneven numbers of Curtas each year.

Interesting are two more facts:
- they didn't decrease the production of Curta type I in the year they started Curta type II
- in the years 1957 to 1959 they only produced a half of the normal amounts (maybe the stock of Curtas was to big - or they started with all the other products like movie cameras or turntables...)
murff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Curta type 1 & 2 - calculate the date of production Reply with quote

Curta type 1 & 2 - calculate the date of production

Curta type & age calculator by Alfredo Logioia ( curta.com.ar ) in collaboration with curta.li

All information according to official factory records from Contina AG, Mauren, Liechtenstein.
[ first time publication at curta.li | 09-21-2011 | public domain ]
murff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on recent researches the factory records of the first five years of production were revised.

1947: no Curtas were manufactured - only some prototypes.
1948: about 100 Curtas were produced
1949: about 300 Curtas were produced
1950: 4700 Curtas were produced (first half of the year: 700, second half of the year: 4000)
1951: 5700 Curtas were produced
1952: 8100 Curtas were produced

Not all serial numbers are representing produced Curtas - about 800 Curtas were never produced. So, the total produced Curtas Type I was about 78730 units.

Curta Type 1, 1a & 2 - calculate the date of production
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: