The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curta Mug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubberswan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Curta Mug Reply with quote

Here's a mug I had printed yesterday. If I was doing it again I'd print it a bit darker, but I was afraid of losing some of the detail. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it.
murff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c o o l . . . !

would it be possible to print fully 360 degrees?

e.g. with this picture:

Rubberswan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Murff

I should have known better than to think I was doing anything original...

Your photograph is better than either of mine...

As far as I know, it's not possible to print 360 degrees, but the best I could think of is that you could print on to a black mug. Given that the mug isn't the correct aspect ratio, it's never going to look absolutely right...I might try it with the Curta 2 next...
murff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no... your pictures are excellent and the idea to create a mug is so cool...

How do you create these pictures? On my side, I rolled a Curta synchronously to the scanner speed...

They offer 360 degrees... :
https://www.rainbowprint.com/promo-products/mugs
but also important would be the correct ratio.
Rubberswan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murff,

You must have a very steady hand - I tried the scanner technique with very poor results...

The technique I used is slit-scan photography, also known as rollout photography, which traditionally involved moving a photographic film past a narrow slit.

However, those days are thankfully behind us, so I used a free iPhone slit-scan app called Poloska, in conjunction with a battery operated display turntable. The phone is stationary and records a series of 1-pixel-wide photographs (at 240 fps) while the Curta rotates on the turntable, and then stitches them all together into a panorama. The resulting photograph needs to be stretched afterwards to the required aspect ratio, and cropped as needs be - the photograph may contain several rotations.

The most difficult part is making sure that the Curta is absolutely central on the turntable (over which I have complete control), and making sure that the focus is pin-sharp (over which I have none, apart from recording against a blank background - otherwise the auto focus will invariably focus on the curtains at the far side of the room!)

My first efforts were with a gramophone turntable rotating at 16 RPM, but this was too fast to get a decent result. The battery turntable operates at about 4 RPM which is much more suitable.

Cheers
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: