The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CURTA is a protected trade mark !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tamarka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: CURTA is a protected trade mark ! Reply with quote

CURTA is a protected trademark! Did you know that? A certain Mr. Schneider (https://www.curta-schweiz.ch/) is the owner! So he can claim rights from anyone who uses the name of this historical invention! It is hard to believe, but this gentleman has accused me of publishing the "Curta Handbook" and has proposed to find a solution "that satisfies both sides". Thanks to the intervention of a member of this forum, the situation became clearer. Mr. Scheider acquired the trademark "CURTA" (in the well known font /logo) 2018, which allows him to exploit it, produce mouse pads and refrigerator magnets, and prohibit others from using the "CURTA" logo. Unbelievable, isn't it? What happens when you reproduce a period manual? What happens when the logo is published on a website? In fact, Mr. Schneider does not understand what a trademark means. He has no right to the trademark "Curta" in connection with the historical mechanical calculating machine "CURTA", but only to the black and white logo - and that ONLY FOR NEWLY developed/invented and produced items (so anyone can produce souvenirs related to the CURTA calculator, t-shirts, cups, mousepads).
Mr. Schneider is one of those people who want to profit from the work of others under the pretext of "protecting" something that belongs to everyone. Don't buy his mouse pads and refrigerator magnets anymore.... and don't use his CURTA repair service! This guy is trying to hijack history.... for his own pocket.
murff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome ©urtaschweiz !

[ The newest registered user is curtaschweiz ]
curtaschweiz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Curta is a protected trademark! Reply with quote

Your comment is damaging our reputation, please delete it. Otherwise we will consider taking legal action. We have corresponded with you under our official name. We still don't know your name, that says it all. That you denounce our business in this forum is cowardly.
You have sold this new produced handbooks with the protected Curta logo on Ebay without any postal return address or name.
We have informed you politely that you were only allowed to use the logo for new printed matter with our ok. You never answered our last email and published this unacceptable comment. For us it is not about money, but rather that this valuable brand is protected and therefore you should mention our copyright.
We have protected the CURTA logo in some countries in Europe. The Curta logo may therefore not be used for the sale of new printed manuals, products etc. without our agreement.
Since 2018 we are the successors for the Curta Service Switzerland and have taken over all original Curta spare parts. We are now rebuilding this brand. This of course also includes the sale of revised Curtas and additional accessories.
We welcome new publications about the Curta history and handling. Nevertheless, we must give our ok for the protected logo.
murff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Curta is a protected trademark! Reply with quote

curtaschweiz wrote:
Your comment is damaging our reputation, please delete it. Otherwise we will consider taking legal action. We have corresponded with you under our official name. We still don't know your name, that says it all. That you denounce our business in this forum is cowardly.
You have sold this new produced handbooks with the protected Curta logo on Ebay without any postal return address or name.
We have informed you politely that you were only allowed to use the logo for new printed matter with our ok. You never answered our last email and published this unacceptable comment. For us it is not about money, but rather that this valuable brand is protected and therefore you should mention our copyright.
We have protected the CURTA logo in some countries in Europe. The Curta logo may therefore not be used for the sale of new printed manuals, products etc. without our agreement.
Since 2018 we are the successors for the Curta Service Switzerland and have taken over all original Curta spare parts. We are now rebuilding this brand. This of course also includes the sale of revised Curtas and additional accessories.
We welcome new publications about the Curta history and handling. Nevertheless, we must give our ok for the protected logo.

The following points are relevant and essential to preserve the history of the Curta:

- Researching the history of the inventor Curt Herzstark, the Curta and the Contina company.
    - Publication of findings in the form of reports or online publications.
    - Capture, restoration, preservation of relevant documents (manufacturing records, instructions, promotional materials, technical articles).
    - Public discussion of relevant topics
    - Establishment and maintenance of collections
    - Mathematical applications of the Curta calculating machine - research, preservation or new development of algorithms.

A trademark protection of the brand CURTA is in relation to the above points without meaning and without benefit. What should be protected? A mouse pad?

The public companies IGE/IPI or WIPO are unfortunately not responsible for an examination whether a trademark protection is legal, meaningful, or applicable - this is in the competence of lawyers.
RoMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Curta trademark Reply with quote

A week ago Mr. Schneider sent me an email urging me to note the following sentence on the photos of my new canisters within 5 days:
"Approval by brand owner Uhrenwerktatt M. Schneider, Curta Switzerland"
since he is the owner of the Curta logo and the Curta name !
…..
No comment.
murff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Curta trademark Reply with quote

It is a personal matter for me to congratulate Mr. Schneider on this extraordinary achievement!
Mr. Schneider spares no effort to give the CURTA community really great impulses and added value.

This is the only way to preserve the valuable heritage of CURTA - with a well protected trademark
(unfortunately only in the countries of Principality of Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France and Italy.... )

(PS: nevertheless I will not buy his CURTA watch, nor his imitated aluminum cans and cardboard packaging, not his mouse mats and refrigerator magnets - and certainly not use his repair service...)
Kmcqueen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh.......I thought the U.S. had the market cornered on stuff like this. Maybe I should patent the name here and start a competing business. Although that sounds like unpleasant work.
Pete42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Curta is a protected trademark! Reply with quote

curtaschweiz wrote:
Your comment is damaging our reputation, [...]

Herr Schneider, you may or may not be justified in exploiting the trademark of Curta. I'm not a lawyer so I'll refrain from trying to be a judge on that.

However, my personal opinion of you and your business has been formed by what I read here in this thread, and the most damaging part of the foundation of this opinion has been what you wrote yourself. It leaves me with the urgent desire never to get in touch with you in any way, and with the definite resolution never to do any kind of business with you.

I sincerely hope enough people come to the same conclusion so your business will become a failure. Capitalising on the work of others infinitely more creative, inventive and ingenious than you'll ever be, first of all Curt Hertzstark himself, is, as far as I'm concerned, not something I would want to make a living from.

So the only one who is damaging your reputation is yourself.
tamarka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARE YOU STILL NOT ASHAMED, Mr SCHNEIDER???
tamarka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Schneider, by "purchasing" the CURTA brand, you are behaving like a counterfeiter.
This brand cannot belong to anyone. She is Curt Herzstark, his genius, his story, Buchenwald, Contina…
Do you consider yourself the heir to that? No. Impossible. Faced with this monument, you do not exist. And it is not a few hundred Euros that will allow you to enter this History.
I will continue to produce documents stamped "Curta" for the purpose of knowledge preservation, without ever asking your permission, which for me would be not only nonsense, but also a huge depreciation of my work.
murff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tamarka wrote:
Mr Schneider, by "purchasing" the CURTA brand, you are behaving like a counterfeiter.
This brand cannot belong to anyone. She is Curt Herzstark, his genius, his story, Buchenwald, Contina...
Do you consider yourself the heir to that? No. Impossible. Faced with this monument, you do not exist. And it is not a few hundred Euros that will allow you to enter this History.
I will continue to produce documents stamped "Curta" for the purpose of knowledge preservation, without ever asking your permission, which for me would be not only nonsense, but also a huge depreciation of my work.

Thank you for this clear statement and strong stance

Exclamation
opensourcefan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Curta is a protected trademark! Reply with quote

curtaschweiz wrote:
Your comment is damaging our reputation, please delete it. Otherwise we will consider taking legal action.

If the comments made are true, there's no successful legal action available. A word of warning if I may. How you react and conduct yourself will effect your reputation more than what anyone says about you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: