The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another happy Italy Curta Service customer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Services
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Another happy Italy Curta Service customer Reply with quote

It may be a bit boring, but here's another happy Romano Manaresi customer.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Curta Type I for a very reasonable price because it had a broken clearing lever (the classic :-)) and was, as the owner admitted, quite neglected, although optically very good.

When I tested the machine I noted that it also was quite sensitive to properly engaging the sliders (if that didn't happen perfectly, which was often the case, one or more digits used the subtraction part of the step drum instead of the addition part, which made using the machine rather difficult), and it also didn't really sound and feel right. Definitely a case for a proper service.

I got in touch with Romano on the base of the enthusiastic reports here and elsewhere and found him an extremely friendly and competent guy, so I sent the machine over to him for repair and maintenance.

As is obviously always the case, Romano kept me updated regularly and had the machine fixed, serviced and touched-up in less than a week's time. Transfer back to me went smoothly and quickly as well. When I had the machine in my hands again it felt like new, worked flawlessly and looked even better than before. The result was more than I expected, even though my expectations were quite high to start with.

Pricing, given the amount of work that was necessary, was more than sensible and absolutely matched the quality of his work.

So if anyone ever needs her or his Curta serviced, Italy Curta Service is a safe bet. I wouldn't even think of sending one of mine somewhere else.
mpechner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject: paperwork Reply with quote

I have one that needs service.

How did you categorize the curta for the shipping docs?
Pete42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: paperwork Reply with quote

mpechner wrote:
I have one that needs service.

How did you categorize the curta for the shipping docs?

Oops, sorry, I saw your comment only now. Must have slipped my attention.

My answer wouldn't have helped you anyway, though. I didn't declare anything, as I am in EU and Romano is as well - so it's almost like a domestic shipping, apart from the price. No shipping docs, no toll ... the EU has a lot of things to say for it.
Pete42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: #2 and #3 are back from Ravenna Reply with quote

A little update to my report on my first experience with "Italy Curta Service" by Romano: All went absolutely flawlessly again, I'm more than happy to recommend his services again - there is absolutely nothing that could be improved.

#2 is a Curta I that I bought last year and that just didn't work as smoothly as it's supposed to and as my other Curtas do. I had some quirks about sending this specific Curta via DHL as it is one half of pair with adjacent serial numbers, so it took a while until Romano found a way to get it to Italy and back safely. It is now, needless to say, in perfect optical and mechanical condition.

#3 is the early black Curta II I bought recently and which the seller in an overshoot of well-meaning oiled generously, leading to it being stuck and dripping oil everywhere. Not a problem for Romano, though: He cleaned, re-lubricated, fixed and adjusted it in almost no time and sent it back to me, where it arrived yesterday. The machine now literally looks and works like new.

Long story short: I woudln't even consider sending a Curta anywhere else. Not only that Romano's work is perfect, he is also very friendly and one of the most reliable persons I know. A big thank-you to Romano!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Services All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: