The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Query Curta Type I
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 7233 the zero positioner seems to be repaired, no similar prototype is known.
I don't know the weight of the baseplate and don't have a suitable scale to check it....

And all serial numbers are engraved.

In any case a nice set with some interesting details!
RAPA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In any case a nice set with some interesting details!"

Those who have been coming out or are there any more?

Maybe we are not talking about the same mechanism?

I would say that the inner mechanism of the base of the 7233 (right side) is the same as the 7292 in your first answer.

The 8862 has a nut instead of a screw and the plate at the bottom has three holes instead of two, the positioning of the stop is below instead of above as in the other two machines.
murff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to describe all these things because English is not my native language....

Anyway - your Curtas have two versions of the zeroing lever and it is possible to use the screw both ways.

(my above statement about the possibility of repair was wrong)

in use:

Last edited by murff on Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
RAPA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I think about it, I can't find the reason why the marked disk has been replaced (if it is the case) in two machines from the same country by an anonymous one, either an original spare part or a new turning.

I have one last question, for which I already have my own answer, but I would like to know your option.

Ignoring the economic issue, we understand that for laymen the lack of marking can penalize the value. And focusing on aesthetics and historical value.

If the machines were yours, would you consider laser etching the logo and numbering onto the disc or would you leave it as is?

P.S.: My level of English is very low, I use a translator for my texts.
murff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Contina's point of view, it would have been impossible to supply a Curta with a black base plate. Moreover, Contina has the plates raw in stock (turned or punched) and has anodized them black WITH the Contina logo as we know it (round or oval). And only in this anodized state the plate was engraved with the serial number.

Also Contina internal test Curtas had these plates with logo, but mostly without number.

The answer to your question about laser engraving is clear:
Even if you don't know the history (and most likely never will), you should keep the current condition. The material value is neither increased nor decreased - it is simply not relevant!

And, there is no final question Smile

(This thread nicely illustrates what this forum is for. I learned here that there are two variants of zero setting levers (... even represented in my collection!).
Also I realize once more that we have understood only a part of the whole construction and history of the CURTA so far after all...)

RAPA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible is too strong a word, which often comes to nothing.

I am glad that my doubts have served to expand occult knowledge.

We agree on maintaining the current condition.

And true, there is no last question, but this will be by PM.
RAPA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an extension, I add the following information.

Mgace (https://curta.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=782) provided a new Spanish Curta that does not have its serial number printed on its base (it was later done manually).

And I have found another one for sale here in Spain (https://www.milanuncios.com/antiguedades-de-coleccion/curta-calculadora-antigua-anos-50-499178956.htm) that does not have its serial number.

These last two, unlike the two of mine which are early, do have the logo and brand engraved but not the serial number.

So we now have four Curtas located in Spain in which either they were not shipped with the serial number (perhaps at the request of the distributor) or the base plates were replaced later.

Which sounds equally strange for both options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: