The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round setting slider knobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michm_de

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Round setting slider knobs? Reply with quote

The setting knobs and the back side reversing knob used to be round in the early Curta Type I models. Does anybody know at (about) what serial number their shape was changed to the common finger-friendly design with bigger grip? The highest serial number with round knobs that I have seen in a photo was 7089. The lowest serial number with the new knobs that I have recently seen was 8394. Thank you for an answer.

Also, I believe to have seen different designs for round knobs. The earlier knobs seemed bigger and had a better grip while the later round knobs were small and smooth. Is this correct? Why did they change to a worse size? (I have pictures but I do not know if and how I can attach them to this post.)
hudspeth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Round setting knobs Reply with quote

I'm also curious about the early Type I design evolution.

Curta s/n 7676 has rectangular sliders and the older right-hand thread case style. There was a Type I on eBay (s/n 4483) with large textured round sliders. I've also seen photos of earlier Type I's with the smaller round sliders (s/n 2805, 4336).
curtafan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean these two different designs of knobs?
The bigger ones are only plastic caps for a better grip on the small standard round knobs.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Type I setting knobs changed from "pin" style to "rectangular" style in this manner:

setting slider knob - pin knob: serial numbers 1 - 7178 and 9321 - 9620
    setting slider knob - narrow rectangular knob: serial numbers 7179 - 9320 and 9621 - 68180
    setting slider knob - wider rectangular knob: serial numbers 68181 - end

The pin knob was probably used again for awhile to use up parts that were in stock.

It is unclear when the plastic "mushroom" caps became available as an add-on option for the pin knobs. A mushroom cap was generally not applied to the reversing slider because the outer diameter of the cap prevented the reversing slider from moving all the way up to the bottom edge of the "upper body collar".
Hawthorn Woods, ILLINOIS 60047
USA
847-550-5052 (evenings)
curta.info@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: