The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curta Type 2 Reassembly: Putting the counter assembly back:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErichKeane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Curta Type 2 Reassembly: Putting the counter assembly back: Reply with quote

Hi all-
I ended up pulling apart my Curta Type 2 to do some cleaning and lubricating, but I seem to have hit a tough spot. I didn't take the wheels/center section apart (just the casing plus the counter assembly off).

When I was disassembling, I found this part popped out as I was taking the counter assembly off the top (looks like a dumb-bell:
https://imgur.com/m7TjmPR ).

I found about 5:20 into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh0NLgbuioE
that it goes 'larger' side down (that is, with the 'thin' ring at the top). He calls it a 'carriage lock pin', but I've not seen anything to that effect.

Anyway, I put it into the hole he takes it out of, and I cannot get the top counter-assembly to go all the way 'down', to the point that spinning the handle doesn't turn the counters. IF I leave the carriage lock pin OUT, it assembles fine.

I DO see if I look down the hole that there is a brass piece covering up about 1/8 of the hole, but I don't seem to be able to remove it.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I have to push into alignment to put this back together?[/quote]
ErichKeane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELP, it 'just worked' the 1st time I tried it after this post. It seems I had to counter-rotate a bit for the pin to be grabbed by the carrier assembly's ring (the bronze ring on the top has a small cutout on it), and as soon as that was lined up, it all just popped together!

Now my Curta is working 100x better!

I pulled off the casing and top, and used an ultrasonic cleaner, then after drying it out, used the lubrication guide. Before this, it was working a little wonky and got 'tight' when having to spin a bunch of hte counter wheels. The cleaning, a little bit of toothbrush time, and the oiling makes it run smooth as silk!
Kmcqueen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erich - I sent you a PM
paulhepner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having the same issue ... watched the video also and figured out the thinner side up but can not get the pin to.pop.in far enough. what exactly did you "counter rotate"?
murff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismantling & Reassembly - S-1

Positioning the carriage: Set the clearing plate to the rest position.
Set the main axis to subtraction (i.e. pull out) and turn slightly to the right (approx. 20 degrees is sufficient). Then insert the locking pin - higher head downwards - into the hole in the machine body as far as it will go. The round carriage must now be positioned in such a way that the engraved number 13 on the round carriage is positioned over the rear arrow on the sleeve.
The round carriage must then be turned to the left (anticlockwise when viewed from above), whereby a click can be felt (when the number 15 is above the rear arrow), but the round carriage must be turned further until the number 1 comes to rest above the first setting point. By turning the main axle to its 0 position, the round carriage snaps into its final position downwards. downwards. The totalizer spring (item 5) and the various other parts can now be fitted...

paulhepner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I see the round notch in the copper ring the pin needs to get above. that worked!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: