The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another CONTINA canister

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham Nash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: another CONTINA canister Reply with quote

Its not a perfect image, but it seems there was more than one (see link below)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2fBcKuPgMY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
murff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we see here is the "CONTINA" canister on Curt Herzstark's desk (see also here...).

The Liechtenstein NationalMuseum and the Arithmeum, University of Bonn, Germany claim to own this first Curta - and both also state that the canister unfortunately no longer exists (according to my research, the Arithmeum is indeed in possession of the first Curta...). There is currently no information proving the existence of another copy.

After the renaming from "CONTINA" to "CURTA", both the collars on the calculators and the canisters were replaced - this was already the case with the sales prototype series of around 100 units.

Cool
Graham Nash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murff wrote:
What we see here is the "CONTINA" canister on Curt Herzstark's desk (see also here...).

The Liechtenstein NationalMuseum and the Arithmeum, University of Bonn, Germany claim to own this first Curta - and both also state that the canister unfortunately no longer exists (according to my research, the Arithmeum is indeed in possession of the first Curta...). There is currently no information proving the existence of another copy.

After the renaming from "CONTINA" to "CURTA", both the collars on the calculators and the canisters were replaced - this was already the case with the sales prototype series of around 100 units.

Cool

Thanks Murff.

Yes, that's the photograph that I cut it from (Curt at his desk).

The thing that I thought was interesting was that the design of the canister pictured is different from the beautiful example you have shown previously ... so I guess there was a bit of prototyping with canisters as well as machines.
murff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right - the canisters are different. I also assume that a suitable storage container was sought in addition to the calculators. We even know of one made of leather.

It's a pity that not all the test objects survived... that would be an interesting insight into the development...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: