The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Functioning Curta Wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwolfson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Functioning Curta Wanted Reply with quote

When I was a boy, the ads in SciAm always caught my attention and I looked forward to being able to afford one. But then handheld electric calculators came along, and I bought a Commodore Minuteman 2 (4 functions and a constant!) in 1973 for $100 instead. All things considered, it was probably the smart choice from a purely utilitarian point of view, but...

Now, being of a certain age I'm waxing nostalgic and, after a career as a mathematician and software engineer, I've got a better appreciation for elegant mechanical things! I wanna Curta!

I don't care about the condition as long as it works. Being smaller, a Type 1 would be preferable, but it doesn't really matter. I learned to be fast on an abacus and a slide rule. I want to learn a Curta, too!

What I don't want is to spend $1000. I mean, this would clearly be a frivolous indulgence, so whatever I spend I can expect my loving wife to lift her eyes to the heavens, utter a couple "tsks", and then go out and spend a like amount on whatever she pleases.

So I'm hoping someone here can point me to a fondly-used (i.e. beat-up) Curta that's going cheap - say $300-ish? That might only evoke one "tsk"!
markrkrebs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: functional curta Reply with quote

I think these are excellent. I'm an engineer & would use it (gently).
I don't care about cosmetic perfection, but it should work 100%
Anybody want theirs to go to a good home?

(I've replied to wolfson 'cause my want is about the same as his.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: