The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What changes would you make to the Curta?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordancb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: What changes would you make to the Curta? Reply with quote

I'm a new collector who has never used a Curta in a profession. I love the look and I love the feel. But I got to thinking about all of you who have been around them for many years. If you could go back in time, what would you change about the Curta? How would it look? What would it be made of? How would if function differently?

I wonder what one would look like if it were made today. Has anyone ever thought of making reproductions?
murff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curta is perfect.

The only thing: I never had replaced some of the metal parts with plastic parts (as for the later variations of the Curtas).

Today a mechanical calculating machine wouldn't developed, I think...
Or maybe Tatjana J. van Vark could develope a Curta based calculator...
(link: Tatjana J. van Vark)

[ Encryption unit by Tatjana J. van Vark ]

A reproduction would be nice - you will need all drawings (you recently asked for this...) AND the know how (material, production, specific calibration, lubrication, tools and machines...)
So I think a small series would not be payable...
jordancb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just so darn fascinated by this thing. It makes me want to go to engineering school just so I can learn how make stuff like this. I am really grateful for people who have the ability and patience for this type of thing. I totally want to take mine apart and see all the little pieces. But I know that would be disastrous. I love the poster I have seen of all the parts and it would be really fun to see the engineering diagrams.

I would love to see the Curta in different colors or perhaps even a wood enclosure. Not sure how that would hold up though.
jordancb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are totally correct about the plastic though. Mine has the two plastic parts and they are the only pieces of the Curta that look at all aged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: