The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another surprise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: another surprise Reply with quote

another surprise

did you see it . . . ?

Innova pub 1953

also of interest:
Innova pub 1950 (one of the earliest advertisement of a Curta)

Last edited by murff on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, more prototypes. But I guess if you look at, say, modern flip cellphones, there is a huge variety even though they all have very similar internals...engineers and designers do like to tinker with the basic example, sixty years ago it was no different!

With respect to the utility, I think this particular change would have been a bad idea, personally. My (older) pin-sliders and (newer, or at least over SN5000) block-sliders alike bear the large part of the force I apply to them on their top and bottom surfaces, which allows the setting-shaft to remain unstressed - the slider is spinning the shaft without unduly pressing into it on one side.

In this prototype, I feel one would have to press down on the bump-slider rather hard in order to get enough grip to set the number; this would IMO put a bending stress on the setting shaft, and interfere with the action between setting-shaft and setting-number, causing friction.

Anyway, very interesting, thanks Murff.
murff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but it's a cool design!
And I don't think that the force is too much in this design, not more than with the rectangular setting knobs (and they have the teeth at the front - not top or down side of the knob).

SO I WANT THIS ONE Very Happy
shtoink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that it looks very cool over the rectangular knobs.

I'd think that it might reduce the tendency to apply pressure perpendicular to the shaft when adjusting the knob due to the shape alone. The curved surface would transfer the force at a shallow angle since you'd be wanting to slide the knob up or down.

That unless you are a gorilla or the first tool you always reach for is a hammer... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: