The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early type I for sale on eBay with weird baseplate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Early type I for sale on eBay with weird baseplate Reply with quote

hello fellow Curta collectors,

I found this very intriguing early type I Curta on eBay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Curta-Herzstark-Rechenmaschine-Typ-1-/131418251655?pt=Antike_B%C3%BCrotechnik&hash=item1e99236187

Has anyone ever seen an early type I with this kind of baseplate ? The engraving should be in a circular fashion. It does not even look like later baseplate, the number seems to be slightly misaligned with the "type I No." engraving that precedes it.

Not to mention that the crank, the engraving on the body and the canister do not fit with such an early model.

It definitely looks like a model that was assembled with spare parts but overall it looks in pristine condition.

Any thoughts ?
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a machine that someone dropped on its crank, needing the top plate replaced. See that plastic clearing ring and thick snap-on snap-off clearing-ring post? That's a replacement top carriage. New canister too.

With respect to the baseplate, sure, it's not like the earlier ones. But it looks exactly like the baseplate on the 278xx and 739xx machines I pulled out of the box just now...possible misalignment and all, that curved printing looks a bit "off" on my machines too.

So, repair job for sure. In fact, the only parts of that machine that look legit for an older model are the sliders, the body (look at the reverser switch engraving) and the number on the baseplate. All else looks right for a much later machine!

EDIT: Actually the body is transitional as well, now that I look again. No numbering at the top of the sliders. Either that machine was almost totally replaced as part of a repair, or someone went to a lot of trouble to fit old sliders to a newer machine...hardly seems worth it to be frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: