The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info on my Type 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Petty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Info on my Type 1 Reply with quote

I have a Type 1 with a serial # 77678 ( approx early March 1970 ) that has a plastic case but a metal handle and clearing lever. I bought it new and used it only a few times before the electronics came in. The unit is in excellent ( hard to tell from new ) condition, although the case shows some wear from 37 years of moving about. I still have the books that came with it...Computing Examples for the CURTA Calculating Machine...and...Mathematical Handbook. I'd like any info on the unit's scarcity and or worth. Thanks.
curtafan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry, I think your Curta I is a little special if it has an original metal clearing ring and a metal handle. Perhaps Jack can tell us more about this. I am curious........
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is unusual to find such a high serial number Curta with a metal clearing lever and metal crank. The only way to tell whether those parts were originally installed at the factory is by extremely careful observation during a disassembly.
Hawthorn Woods, ILLINOIS 60047
USA
847-550-5052 (evenings)
curta.info@gmail.com
Terry Petty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: My type 1 Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, I bought the unit in the early 70's from a known retail source. It was not purchased from an individual. At that time, there would be no motivation to modify the unit. They were strictly bought for what they do.

Thanks for your input.

Is there anyplace that I can send it for an honest appraisal ?
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you purchased the Curta as a new unit in its current configuration then you must have a machine which was made during the end of production when it can only be assumed Contina was using all the spare parts they could without contracting for more.

You must have a somewhat unique machine as such. However, its value is not really changed as a result.

Appraising a Curta is difficult without seeing it in person. And as you might expect, the value changes over time. What really sets a Curta's value is age and condition, and in certain cases, configuration. But the configuration refers to specific styles of cranks, sliders (there were very subtle changes made here), clearing plates, and so on.
Hawthorn Woods, ILLINOIS 60047
USA
847-550-5052 (evenings)
curta.info@gmail.com

Last edited by Jack on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Terry Petty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Info on my Type 1 Reply with quote

If I were to insure and ship the unit to you, could you provide me with an estimate of value or would you be interested in selling the unit on some sort of consignment agreement ? I'm willing to part with it but I don't want to scare off legitimate buyers with a too high price or have it go on Ebay for half of it;s market worth. Please advise.

PS I don't exagerate when I say the unit is hard to tell from new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: