The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More accurate dating
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: More accurate dating Reply with quote

It's occurred to me that the only way of dating Curtas accurately is from dated documentation (receipts, guarantees, etc) accompanying the machines. I've made a start on this using data from eBay sales, and it looks encouraging. What I need is more data!
If anyone has paperwork which dates their Curta accurately, I'd be very grateful to hear about it and use it to refine the so-far-nonexistent-but-potentially-wonderfully-accurate Walpole algorithm.
Thanks!
Jim
jc428

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that in one recent eBay auction, there was a guarantee with a date. Funny, the same thought came to mind that this might be a way to more accurately gauge the manufacture date of the units.

However, reality soon set in. First, it appears that paper documentation accompanying the Curtas is rarer and even harder to find that the calculators themselves. No doubt receipts and guarantees are the first items to be lost or misplaced. Second and perhaps more important, receipts and guarantees are a good indication of when the units were sold. I suspect that the actual manufacture date preceded the sale by months, perhaps tens of months.
Jim

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes - of course they're rare. That's why I'm appealing on this post! In several years of watching (and buying) Curtas on eBay, I've only seen ten dated documents - five type I and five type II. When dates are plotted against serial number, they give nice straight lines, which makes me think that it's worth trying this method. And yes again - the machines were probably sold up to a year after manufacture, but that still gives a better estimate than that based on assumed production rates. I'll carry on with collecting data, and when there's enough to be fairly confident about the results, I'll put my findings here.
David Robinson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Dating serial numbers (Type I) Reply with quote

I was much heartened to read of your sensible approach, but have not found any invoices or guarantees linked to Curtas. I

Yet it seems to me that type I machines which actually state "type I" before their serial number could only have been produced after the introduction of the type II, said to have been in 1954. The earliest such machine I know of is that of a member of this forum, who has machine number 8419. Does anyone know of any smaller number type I which states 'type I'?

The point of this post is that if these assumptions are true then both algorithms used to calculate date on vcalc.net overstate production figures for the early years, so underestimate production years for the earlier machines.
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8335 bears the same "Type 1" notation you refer to here.

I like the theory, but I'm not sure the reality was as neat as that.
Steve W.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Type II came with three books, a clipped add from a magazine AND a dated sales and import receipt.

The receipt is from N.H. Seward 457-459 Bourke Street, Melbourne
Sold to was in Hamilton NY (has full name and address)

Date on receipt is 7-12-61
Serial number is 514971
Vincent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Curta type 1 #63316 with warranty card dated Sept. 06th 1966 Reply with quote

Info taken from eBay auction #: 400206046325 on March 29th 2011
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Curta type 1 #63316 with warranty card dated Sept. 06th Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Info taken from eBay auction #: 400206046325 on March 29th 2011

As if the waters weren't muddy ENOUGH already - this seller notes his belief in a 1959 production date for his machine.

I think we're going to find that the 'sometimes tens of months' comment from an earlier poster is correct, and that machines were commonly sold at retail YEARS after production. This will of course make receipts only useful in a negative sense - we know for sure that 66316 wasn't produced AFTER 1966 but have no way of knowing when it actually left the assembly process.

EDIT: Sorry, the above reference might not hang around forever - here's what the seller said in his desription:

This auction is for a wonderful example of an early Curta mechanical calculator type 1.

Through extensive research I feel accurate to say that this model with serial # 63316 was produced in the mid year of 1959 when only 2401 of these type 1's were produced.

Please check your own accounts for accuracy of this statement.

It has passed the Curta TGB test as detailed on the Curta.org website.

It comes complete with its original box, warranty car dated (Sept.6th.1966), instructions and calculating examples booklet.

As an added bonus you will receive this vintage Larry Reid's Rally Table's booklet dated 1959, it is the eleventh printing February 1966 & a cardboard computing rally wheel.

Last edited by Pete on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Dating by sales receipts Reply with quote

Robert Cailliau, a one-time colleague of Tim Berners-Lee, has a grey Model II with a plastic crank shown on his website. It is number 532235 (anyone collecting symmetrical numbers?) purchased April, 1968. I also saw a Model II for sale on eBay a while back, with the number 522803, sale date 20 February 1964. These two sightings made me think about the date of mine, as I have 534282, which has a calculated date of April, 1962. Mine is of French origin, the same as Robert Cailliau's. I am now kicking myself as I didn't record where the eBay machine was sold.

Peter Johnson
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: 34649 Reply with quote

34649, for sale on Ebay right now, quote from seller, "The guarantee was dated 3 September 1957 and is from London Office Machines Ltd". Seller notes some dating methods put her machine as 1952 production but...anyway, another piece of the puzzle. HT to ebay seller, thanks!
David Robinson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: More Accurate Dating Reply with quote

Interesting additional information!

The date of this guarantee and number fit almost too neatly on the straight line N = 3400(y - 1947) which seems to apply quite well between 1955 and 1969.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick, I thought I was the only one skiving off work early today but of course you've already had dinner over in the land of GMT!

Yes, you'd think Contina would have normalized production after eight years of selling these, but absent information from the factory (which I fear will never come to light) we're all just guessing. Oh well, by the time I'm old and grey these minor discrepancies will be less important. We need more input, but from whom? Jack has given us some useful clues but we need Hans-Rudolf Roshard to chime in as well - and perhaps the Italian company has something to add.
Peter Johnson

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Dating by sales receipts Reply with quote

There are a couple on ebay at the moment: Type II, 557687, bought "early 70s"; and one described as Model I, 536707 purchased 21 February, 1967. This buyer has the invoice. However, the machine looks grey to me!

Peter Johnson
David Robinson

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: More Accurate Dating Reply with quote

It is interesting that of those I can find on eBay at present two early Type IIs (500 225 and 508 429) do not state type II on their baseplates, but a later Type II (518 679) (and later ones) do. Was there ever a time when Type Is were manufactured stating Type I on their baseplate, while Type IIs were manufactured without giving their type?
Peter Johnson

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model 2 up for auction, serial number 524854, sold in USA January (?) 1963.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: