The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a "1956 rare series of Curta calculators"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenella

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Is there a "1956 rare series of Curta calculators" Reply with quote

Dear all,

There is a seller on ebay, with the auction closing about now, who makes the following claims :
(quote from auction starts here)

-------

Curta model II calculator last of January 1956 rare series of 30.
The serial number is 508289.

This Curta model II is completely black metal without any plastic parts. This is the last Curta of a rare series of 30 calculators that were produced with a special manufacturing process. It was tested by Contina Ltd by their specifications.

The set includes:
1. Curta (Model-II) calculator №508289.
2. Metal case.
3. Instruction manual.
4. Hard cardboard unnumbered cylindrical box.

In January 1956, Contina Ltd made a series of Curta model II calculators with the use of a new special manufacturing process. This technology included a particular carbon casehardening process of the main parts of the calculator as well as a more precise machining finishing of these parts. The technology, reliability, and precision of this calculator made it last for decades and allowed for 100% interchangeability of all Curta model II parts.

There were only 30 of these calculators made. The first one had a serial number 508259. This calculator, number 508289, made in early February, is the 30th and last calculator in this series. Starting with number 508290, Contina Ltd switched back to its old technology because the new technology increased the cost of the calculator drastically.

I have never collected Curta calculators, but as a mechanical engineer, I have always been interested in the construction, history, and evolution of these calculators. I have information about Contina Ltd's manufacturing processes that has not been published. I also have researched almost all of its patents.

Therefore, I have always wanted to own a calculator from this 30 calculator series. As a result, this Curta was not cheap because got it as a trade for a Nikon SP from a collector friend of mine.

--------

Anyone knows anything about this "special carbon case-hardening" that should have been used for this series of 30 curtas only ? I think I smell bullshit ...

On the other hand, the machine looks certainly to be in nice condition, with a round black cardboard packaging box, and a metal can that has a matte finish to the top except for a band around the case which is shiny and contains the word "CURTA". I've never seen either of those before either.
The seller isn't going to do badly on the sale it seems ...it is at 2325$ with 6 hours to go. Does that mean bullshit pays ? I have some curta's here which are part of a very special series of 20 machines too Smile

Cris
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: No such "Special" Curta were made. Reply with quote

There was no "special" series of 30 Type II Curtas made. The seller is simply lying. Period.
Hawthorn Woods, ILLINOIS 60047
USA
847-550-5052 (evenings)
curta.info@gmail.com
CurtaGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: No such "Special" Curta were made. Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
There was no "special" series of 30 Type II Curtas made. The seller is simply lying. Period.

There's another appearance of said "Series 30" Curta on eBay.

Item # • 150437422791 •

Caveat emptor!

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm not the seller, not associated with the seller, and have no intention on buying the baloney. Albeit a nice looking piece, I'd take Mr. Christensen's word as gospel on these sorts of things.

Last edited by CurtaGuy on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: No such "Special" Curta were made. Reply with quote

CurtaGuy wrote:
Jack wrote:

There's another appearance of said "Series 30" Curta on eBay.

Item # • 150437422791 •

Caveat emptor!

Once again, the description of the different nature of the metals making up the Curta is completely bogus.
Hawthorn Woods, ILLINOIS 60047
USA
847-550-5052 (evenings)
curta.info@gmail.com
Pete42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There were only 30 of these calculators made. The first one had a serial number 508259. This calculator, number 508289, made in early February, is the 30th and last calculator in this series. Starting with number 508290, Contina Ltd switched back to its old technology because the new technology increased the cost of the calculator drastically.

OK, a bit late, but has it occurred to anyone that 508259...508289 are in fact 31 machines, not 30?

So the seller might have been a liar, but he definitely couldn't calculate :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: