The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The loneliest Prime Curta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michm_de

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: The loneliest Prime Curta Reply with quote

<!-- -->The loneliest Prime Curta

Who is enough of a Mathematician or s/w-programmer to answer this question? Of all Curta Type I and Type II with prime serial numbers, which is the prime number with the highest gap to its next upper and/or lower prime number neighbour?

Thanks for answering this question.

Best wishes for 2009

/Michael
stenella

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: The loneliest prime Curta Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

You do not need to be either a programmer or a mathematician to do this sort of calculation - all you need is a list of prime numbers and your favourite spreadsheet.
What's with the fascination with prime numbers anyway ?

But OK, you asked - here goes, depending on your definition of "lonely"

For the Curta II, it is number 515041, which has a gap of 74 to the previous prime number and 46 to the next for a total of 120.

For the Curta I, it is 58831, with a gap of 42 to the previous prime and 58 to the next for a total of 100.

The runners-up are 537497 (84,30) and 570329 (76,30) for the Curta II and 38501 (40,42) and 31469 (72,8 ) for the Curta I.

If you're looking for the largest absolute gap, that would be 576791 with a gap of 90 to the previous prime, but to stay in the range of actual curta serial numbers it's probably the runner-up 544279 with a gap of 88 to the previous prime.

For the Curta I, it's 31379 with a gap of 72 to the previous prime.

None of those is on the Curta registry page - they would probably sell for upwards of US$10000 now I reckon.

Now ...does any of that information make your life more complete ? Wink

Cris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: