The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of Curtas being represented as too high in quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Beware of Curtas being represented as too high in quality Reply with quote

When looking at Curtas being sold on eBay I have seen many occasions where a Curta is misrepresented in its quality. I suppose that the "buyer beware" conditions are always in effect so it is up to the bidder to take the descriptions of the instruments with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, the misrepresentation of so many Curtas as being in excellent or mint condition is frustrating me no end.

Today I see several Curtas on eBay that are stipulated as being in mint condition, and others as being in excellent++ condition. One is listed as "99%MINT". Now folks, a Curta is either mint or it isn't. It cannot be 99% mint. An excellent Curta listed by the same seller is really only in fine condition.

And a different seller has listed a fine condition Curta as an "excellent++" machine. That machine is not "excellent", not even "very fine"...it's barely "fine".

I beg of you to seriously look at the photos provided by the seller and make your own mind up about the condition of these instruments. Don't assume the quality mentioned by the seller is correct when the pictures obviously show otherwise. Read my Curta Rating page for some guidance:

http://curta.org/wiki/CurtaRating

Sorry...I just had to vent!

Jack
Hawthorn Woods, ILLINOIS 60047
USA
847-550-5052 (evenings)
curta.info@gmail.com

Last edited by Jack on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
CurtaGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Beware of Curtas being represented as too high in quality Reply with quote

Also, sometimes a statement as to the calculator's functional operation is not even put in the description. Often you must ask. And then still, while it may work, it may not work as silky smooth as should/could be expected.

I notice there's a Curta currently listed as its condition being "Minty". Reminds me of hearing the phrase "sort of pregnant."

-CurtaGuy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: