The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curta II Colors and Variations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwolfson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Curta II Colors and Variations Reply with quote

In another post, Jack has listed the styles of Type IIs and he only mentions black ones and gray ones. Yet I see pics of Type IIs in fine shape that look distinctly green. Is it bad photography, do the gray ones discolor, or are they truly and properly green?

There are also pics on vcalc.net of "special Curtas" in gold, silver, chrome, as well as with other variations. Are these photoshopped or genuine mods?
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gray painted Curtas discolor on occasion due to oils, atmosphere contaminants, and bright light.

The Curtas in gold, silver, chrome, and other variations were made by custom anodizing various parts from a Curta that was disassembled. Contina never sold such Curtas, although I understand some may have been made by factory personnel - probably after the factory closed. Most of these custom Curtas were made much later by collectors.
Hawthorn Woods, ILLINOIS 60047
USA
847-550-5052 (evenings)
curta.info@gmail.com
aterren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below are my two Curta type 2. Is the one on the left just discolored or was their another factory color. Note the lettering is gold. It seem odd that the whole thing would have uniformly discolored.

murff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The background of the Curta engraving is always aluminum colored. So your sample on the left side is discolored (means some film of dirt...). You can clean this with a soft cleanser.
On the other side, earlier gray Type II Curtas have a purer grey than later, which have a green cast.

[ 1958 ]

[ 1969 ]
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. My earliest grey-body type 2s are a light and businesslike ash-blue/grey as in Murff's photos; my later versions (even one where I'm pretty sure the machine stayed untouched in its canister since manufacture) are distinctly greenish. As Murff said if it's a muddy green there's likely dirt contributing to the appearance (I cleaned one of mine pretty successfully with just soap and water, looked much better afterwards) but the paint composition was certainly changed at some point.

Frankly I prefer the blue-grey of the earlier type 2, but the most handsome examples of the entire run are IMO the type 1 from when they changed to square sliders in 7xxx or 8xxx up to where they changed the crank and canister from metal to plastic in the later years. Those all-metal type 1s 10xxx-40xxx are the purest form of the machine.
aterren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I also prefer the light / pure grey color. Ifind it very odd that the discoloration, including the aluminum, changed in such a uniform way. Overall, the green one seems to behave suffered less wear and tear than the gray one (fewer bottom scratches etc).

Any issue with soaking the barrel in mild soap (after removal of course)? Or did you guys clean in place?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: