The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

type I without type II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: type I without type II Reply with quote

hallo to everyone,
my first question is related to the earlier curta type I manufactured before 1951-52:
why did they write on the bottom "TYPE I" ??
in those years only type I was manufactured !
in 1949-50 how could Curt Herzstark already know that in 1954 he would manufacture type II ?!?
bye, romano
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrr...I don't think it's unknown for a company to name its first product "Mark 1" or "Type 1" etc etc...

And you might, if you have a look around the internets, find reference (even a picture or two!) to the prototype models Herr Herzstark had in mind for the future. Pity those didn't work out, but I can't blame the guy for wanting out of the business after what the Liechtensteiners did to him.
RoMan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Pete,
what you say is perfectly logical.
yet, when Curt H. finally started making type II, why didn't he write Type II on the bottom??
As far as I know most black body Type II are like this.
Do you know of black body curtas marked Type II?
bye
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Just took a look at the bottom of my black type II and you're right, no "Type II".

One thing I notice is that the baseplates on all my Curtas have differences - on 40579 the "Type I" is engraved like the SN (and ABOVE the other printing), but on three earlier ones the "Type I" looks to be printed like the rest of the baseplate lettering, and placed at the bottom.

My 511869 has "Type II" engraved like the SN, and as with 40579, this is above the other printing on the baseplate.

What was I thinking when I said "I want a full Curta set"....with all these little variations it might be impossible. Oh well, the ones I have cover MOST of the bases!
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
....What was I thinking when I said "I want a full Curta set"....with all these little variations it might be impossible. ...

Very Happy

Yeah...that's the problem with collecting. There are endless variations. And the Curta is even more problematic because each one has a serial number. I know two people who have sequential serial number units which they purchased used from different people.
Hawthorn Woods, ILLINOIS 60047
USA
847-550-5052 (evenings)
curta.info@gmail.com
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
I know two people who have sequential serial number units which they purchased used from different people.

Weirdly enough, I saw 20005 and 20006 on Ebay over the last couple of weeks, different sellers IIRC. And I`ve just been reliably informed there`ll be a pin-slider model offered for sale there in the next week or two, darn it, there goes the budget again...unless one of you lot outbids me of course Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: