The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Yellow" Van Nuys Curta Math Handbook
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sample arrived today. It is a faithful reproduction of the original, complete with the yellow card cover. To be honest, it is better than the original, because now all the text and tables are perfectly aligned, and there is not a print blemish to be seen.
Congratulations to CurtaGuy for a job exceptionally well done!! There is no doubt that the quality targets which you set yourself have been achieved.
CurtaGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[As I informed PeteJ, my delayed response was due to an out of town excursion, of which I just returned. Wink ]

Thanks for the showers of praise Peter. And even though you deem some of the tables "perfectly aligned", I still see places wherein I could've/should've done a bit better. Again, I'm OCD -- and had an eye out for every detail.

It was just the fact I was working with a mouse alone (and not a pen tablet) which limited my patience on the project.

Thanks again for the public positive feedback. It is certainly better than the original, yes, but the original was far from perfect to begin with.

CurtaGuy

Last edited by CurtaGuy on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
CurtaGuy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before / After -- for those interested:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/curtaguy/bef-aft-1.jpg
Peter Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading my post from Tuesday 9 August again, I see that I was unintentionally ambiguous. When I said "better than the original", I was not referring to the careworn specimen which you started with as the original, but to what a typical new booklet would have been like, on the shelf in Van Nuys, all those years ago. They obviously had print defects such as skewed tables, etc, which you have corrected at the same time as removing all the graffiti and other page damage.
CurtaGuy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Johnson wrote:
Reading my post from Tuesday 9 August again, I see that I was unintentionally ambiguous. When I said "better than the original", I was not referring to the careworn specimen which you started with as the original, but to what a typical new booklet would have been like, on the shelf in Van Nuys, all those years ago. They obviously had print defects such as skewed tables, etc, which you have corrected at the same time as removing all the graffiti and other page damage.

What PeteJ said! Wink

The quality of this original, non-worn booklet was nowhere near the quality of one of the original, non-worn Curta Manuals. This booklet was a "throw together" of tables, along with some pertinent (sales) info about promoting its capabilities (the book, after all, came from one of their distributors.)

To those who have the reproduction of the Curta Manual from J.C., the quality his reproduction was probably, in part, due to a better specimen to work with in the first place. (I do have an original Curta Manual, and one of JC's reproductions - so I am making this comparison first hand.)

TY again, PJ -- and for the (though unneeded) clarification! Smile
CurtaGuy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reproduction Curta "Yellow" Math Booklets are not available any longer available (from me.)
CurtaGuy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Yellow Book for the Pubic Domain Reply with quote

I assembled the Yellow Book into a PDF for public domain consumption (disclaimer -- background 'watermarked' included to stay free for all.)

Anyone willing to host it who has the ongoing bandwidth?

It's ~ 22MB.

-CurtaGuy
murff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(good things need time...)

The Mathematical Handbook - The Curta Company, Van Nuys, California

is ready for free download

Thanks to CurtaGuy Exclamation

Last edited by murff on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both, much appreciated.
stenella

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated indeed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: