The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to send in for cleaning/lubrication?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CurtaPilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: When to send in for cleaning/lubrication? Reply with quote

Now proud owner of a pristine type I (#24990, made in 1954) that seems to work perfectly--appears to almost never have been used. Is there any reason to send this Curta in for a lubrication/cleaning, despite the near new appearance? Thanks, and apology in advance if this has already been answered elsewhere... CurtaPilot
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the machine has a problem, I'd avoid sending it in. Just like my watchmaker charges quite a bit to disassemble, inspect, clean, and lubricate my various watches, Curta service is rather expensive. Jack Christensen charges a couple of hundred dollars for this and I'm not sure the gentlemen in Europe are any cheaper...see here for Jack's page about this http://home.comcast.net/~timewise1/curta/curta.html

Anyway, the machines are quite robust provided they are not abused; the Type 1 that lives on my desk and is used daily hasn't shown any hiccups in its operation in the years it's been there. I'm not sending it in until it starts doing its sums wrong!

And congratulations on your excellent-condition machine. You'll find it gives you plus 5 HP on Boring Cocktail Party Guests to Death in certain role-playing games, too.
CurtaPilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, Pete. Good info...see ya 'round the cocktail party circuit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: