The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUILT TO LAST?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: BUILT TO LAST? Reply with quote

So, I was fooling around with one of my late-model Curtas, and, argh, broke the damn clearing ring. It was cracked before, but when I touched it the crack spread and now the piece is irretrievably broken. And I don't have a replacement. This means I now have two Curtas with missing clearing rings.

I must say, I prefer the machines where every piece is metal. But collectors like to have every type, and I do have several Curtas with plastic cases, crank handles, and clearing rings. These parts will inevitably degrade over time in a way that metal does not. Eventually my plastic parts will become worthless.

Now, recent developments in "3D printing" have led me to believe that we could get replacement clearing rings produced without too much trouble. Does anyone on this board have any experience in these matters? Or any suggestions?
murff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is one...

(the last one - the drawer is full of other parts - no more Löscherhebel)

And - I do not think 3D printed parts are so highly durable...
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murff,

I agree with you re: durability - but I think this will change as the technology matures. Regardless, if one could have, for example, 100 clearing rings produced for one CHF, they could break every six weeks and it wouldn't matter!

I'll look into this and see what can be done.
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update to the above posts, I now have a few dozen black plastic clearing rings - indistinguishable from the originals - which fit any of the various models that originally used the plastic clearing rings. I replaced three in my collection!

These cost me a few bucks to get made (3D printed example plus milling the production units was $250!) so I'm not offering them for free, but I imagine cheaper than you'll find them elsewhere!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: