The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is anyone still servicing curtas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Services
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king_rhoton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Is anyone still servicing curtas? Reply with quote

I've tried Timewise, the Swiss guy, and several others, and none of them have replied. Can someone recommend anyone who is actively doing repairs? Mine mostly works, but it will not carry in a couple of the higher digits. Thanks.
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't good news. While I believe a good gunsmith and certainly a watchmaker would be able to give it a go, absent the assembly jigs, replacement parts, and specialized tools, who'd be crazy enough to try?
aterren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Romano Manaresi at http://www.curtaservice.it/ was exemplary. I sent him 3 Curta's last year (a working type 2 for service, a demo for service, and a type 2 that was a complete disaster). All came back in very good working order and at a fair price.

My experience was exemplary.

Basket case Curta Type 2 with broken main shaft - before pictures:

And after - it works perfectly:

davhamm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aterren wrote:
My experience with Romano Manaresi at http://www.curtaservice.it/ was exemplary. I sent him 3 Curta's last year (a working type 2 for service, a demo for service, and a type 2 that was a complete disaster). All came back in very good working order and at a fair price.

My experience was exemplary.

Basket case Curta Type 2 with broken main shaft - before pictures:

And after - it works perfectly:

Your pic links dont work anymore. How did you send it from the US? did you just use USPS parcel post? seems the least expensive by far. A little concerned putting such a low value on it, but I understand the 22% VAT tax would be a killer if you put the actual price. But then I have heard packages to Italy can also disappear UGH.
aterren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It made me chuckle that I have not been on this site in many months and I check in on the same day you ask a question.

In any case, given the issues noted around shipping I opted to send the package via fedex. I was sending one of 30 or so known sales demos so the the peace of mind was well worth the ~$80 in shipping each way. If I were doing it again I would do the same thing.

Let me know if you can see the original photos now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Services All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: