The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Received my first Curta today but all is not well
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul1967

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to give it a go.

When I am done I'll either have a nice looking fully functional Type II or a very pretty paper weight.

Either way I will gain more knowledge of the Curta
murff

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start here:

Dismanteling & Reassembly

good luck !
Paul1967

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link and the good wishes. I have downloaded the oiling chart too so I can lube it as I go.
Paul1967

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update for anyone interested Smile

I believe I have identified the problem that was causing the jamming.

The carry piece that moves up and down and has a finger that sits between two rows of teethon the carry cog was actually pressing onto the lower teeth rather that in the gap.

I have pushed the carry cog back into place.

A few days ago, before I took it apart, after gently working it until it started to jam, after a while it ran smoothly, but that lasted about 5 minutes.

Looking at the finger, it is not angled the same as the others and I guess this is why after appearing to cure itself it failed again.

A little tweak with a pair of pliers is all that is required but I have to get it out first.

I do not feel that brave at the moment. I need to look at some more photos for a while Smile That little spring is what is worrying me.
mwu

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I'm definitely interested in updates.

Yes, that's a carry lever. On the Type I there are screws that hold the levers in place. It looks like the Type II doesn't have those and they just slide in / out. Without the screws, they would have to have less vertical play or a tighter fit than they do on the Type I (not sure which -- I haven't studied the engineering drawings of the Type II as much.

I've never handled one, but I know those levers are small and it probably doesn't take much to bend them. I've accidentally broken a few 3D printed ones. Is the carry lever bent or just at a bad angle? Can you share a picture?
Paul1967

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I started this repair, I was going to document it fully photographically.

When it came to it I didn't take a single photo Sad

I noticed on the disassembly photos that the Type I and II differed somewhat as regards the carry levers (and the revering lever)

I found the courage to lift out the carry lever and while holding it all carefully put the finger part into a mini vice and gave little push and that was enough.

Putting it back in was tricky and inevitably it flew apart. Luckily there are numerous other ones to copy to se how it was supposed to go.

I got it back in ok. The alignment is automatic as the brass part that the lever slides against has protrusions top and bottom that sit outside of the aluminium top section the it pushes into.

The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to align 8 cogs as I was refitting the reversing lever.

I was going to lubricate it but it seems to be working smoothly anyway and I didn't want to oil things I shouldn't so left it as it was.

It is working perfectly now.

The only casualty was the red subtraction paint that flaked off while removing the pin from the crank.

I feel I know my Curta a little better now Smile
mwu

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome and great to hear! Well done!
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, I'm impressed! Thanks for documenting the process.
danbrew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davhamm wrote:
I use Gixen just enter you high bid and forget it. Where did you end up buying from another ebay auction?

Yes, another eBay auction. I know, I know, I’m not very timely with my response…!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: