The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anybody heard from Jack?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swierczekml

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Has anybody heard from Jack? Reply with quote

Hello all!

Has anybody heard from Jack Christensen lately? I sent him my black-on-black Type II Curta back in May for service, and while he was initially very prompt in returning my e-mails and promising to provide an estimate for repairs, I never got any estimate. More worrisome, he hasn’t returned either of my two recent e-mails. I understand his wife had some health issues over the summer, so I realize that he might not be able to get to my unit right away, but the lack of any recent communication has me worried. I would like to get my Curta back at some point, either repaired or unrepaired, so if anybody has some insight into Jack’s status or can communicate with him regarding this issue, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Mark S.
Old Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: I am also concerned about Jack... Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
I am in the same exact situation you are.
After getting the go-ahead from Jack a few weeks ago, I sent my early Curta I to him for CLA. After receiving no acknowledgement of its arrival, I checked with USPS. They confirmed that he had signed for delivery on 10/10. But he does not respond to either phone calls or emails. Perhaps his wife has taken a turn for the worse. (But I hope not!)
Like you, I am now concerned about getting my Curta back, never mind the CLA. I saw somewhere that the moderators of this group are "klotz" and "jack." Would that be Jack Christensen? If so, do you suppose that klotz might have a way to contact Jack?
Good luck, it looks like we're going to need it.
Best regards to you and the group, Ed
swierczekml

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Hoo boy, your story sounds almost identical to mine. Every communication regarding my Curta was initiated by me. I never received a notice that he received it, and every promised date for a diagnosis came and went without so much as a peep from him. What really bothers me is the fact that he was apparently communicating with you regarding your Curta while at the same time ignoring my e-mails. Perhaps there is a reasonable explanation for this; if so, I'm all ears. As I said, at this point, I just want my Curta back, repaired or not.

I have saved all my e-mails with Jack documenting the entire saga going back to May 4th of this year when we first communicated.

Yes, moderator "Jack" appears to be the same Jack Christensen. Assuming "Klotz" is still present and moderating this site, I would hope that he could look into the situation and get back to us. Until this situation is resolved, I would strongly advise "caveat emptor" for anybody considering Jack's repair services.

Thanks for your reply; I'm somewhat relieved (and yet sad) to discover I'm not alone...

-Mark S.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't any help to offer you gents I'm afraid, but as a fellow collector any difficulties with the main serviceman for North American Curtas is a bit worrying. I hope to read about this being resolved soon!

I currently have two machines needing attention (I have 14 total, yikes), and it's looking increasingly like I'll have to send them to H-R Roshard over in the Land of Clocks and Chocs for service, if Jack's not available. I'd much rather keep them local, though. Are there any other alternatives?
ErstO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Dont even want to admit how long Jack has had my type II Reply with quote

Last email I got from Jack was in June, he said he was having serious problems at home, but nothing since.

Hope he and family are ok, also hope my Type II will be returned someday.
Mark Durham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Jack Christensen Reply with quote

I, too, am at a loss about what to do about a Curta I sent to Jack Christensen this summer. He was responsive at first, reported back he had examined my Curta and corresponded with me by email about some repairs options. Then he disappeared. Emails and phone calls were not returned, except for one email in August that read:

Mark,

Since my spouse was incapacitated on June 30th I have been juggling so many things that my Curta repairs have fallen by the wayside. I am just now getting back into the swing of things as Sheila is about ready to try walking again. I'll do what I can this week to address your Curta.

Sincerely,

Jack

That's been it. Any one up for a trip to 32 Old Barn Road,
Hawthorn Woods, IL 60047?

[/list][/code][/quote]
swierczekml

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All - I just received a note from Jack promising to return my Curta as it was received. Hopefully others on this list have received similar messages. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this latest promise won't fall through like all of his previous promises. Will keep you posted...

-Mark S.
swierczekml

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All - I finally received my Curta back from Jack yesterday – woohoo! It arrived in the same box I sent it in, and it appears that the unit was untouched, never inspected or even removed from the box. Nonetheless, I’m happy to have my Curta back, even if it still isn’t functioning correctly. I hope you all receive yours back too. Happy Thanksgiving!

-Mark S.
Old Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,
I am one of those unfortunates who "lost" my heirloom Curta last year when I sent it to Jack for service. Presumably, it lies somewhere in his backlog.
I see that this thread has not updated for many months now. Does anyone have any new information on the status of Jack and his wife, and/or his progress responding to owners of Curtas that he has not returned?
Because my Curta is (or was) a family heirloom, I have contemplated flying to Chicago, renting a car, and going to Jack's house to ask for its return. I now think I have a more practical idea, which is to ask one of my Chicago nephews to undertake that mission. But first I wanted to ask this Group if anyone has new information that I should know about.
Thanks and best regards,
Ed
swierczekml

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Have you had any luck getting your Curta back since you posted your note? I was hoping Jack would send all of the backlogged units back to their original owners when I received mine...no idea why he singled me out. I was actually getting ready to call a friend in Chicago and ask him drop by his house for up close and personal report when mine showed up. Perhaps he read my mind.

Keep us posted...

-Mark
Old Ed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your question, and congratulations on your (relatively) good fortune!
I had a brief email exchange with Jack a month ago. At that time, he said he had started work on my unit, and would finish it up the next day.
Alas, nothing has come of it, so far. I have been emailing gentle queries every two weeks, but no responses. I have offered several times to accept return as-is, and pay shipping and handling.
I hope Jack isn't having more problems on the home front; I'm hoping I won't have to ask my Chicago relations to knock on his door and ask for my unit; and I'm hoping said unit isn't in many pieces, scattered about the workbench.
A year ago, it seemed like a good idea to send my Curta back in for a CLA. Oy vey...
Regards to the Group, Ed

swierczekml wrote:
Hi Ed,

Have you had any luck getting your Curta back since you posted your note? I was hoping Jack would send all of the backlogged units back to their original owners when I received mine...no idea why he singled me out. I was actually getting ready to call a friend in Chicago and ask him drop by his house for up close and personal report when mine showed up. Perhaps he read my mind.

Keep us posted...

-Mark
Very Happy
Old Ed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: An update, if this topic is still of interest... Reply with quote

I originally shipped my early Curta I to Jack for a CLA in October of 2012. A long, worrisome period followed, with only intermittent communications. I became concerned that I would never see my Curta again. (See earlier messages in this thread.)
However, my Curta was finally returned (to a former address), in September of 2013. I was able to recover it from my former neighbor. Hurray!
I haven't found the time to thoroughly test it; but it seems to be working smoothly and well.
I apologize for being slow in reporting this outcome in this thread; but I've also had a difficult year, with moving and health issues.
I believe Jack is a good and honest man, with rare skills related to Curtas. But I hope his future clients will be spared what I and some others went through when his work was interrupted by family problems.
Best regards to the list, and enjoy your Curtas! ...Ed
nucleon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Out Two Type I's Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but...

Sent Jack TWO type I's in 2012 or 13...yes, 4-5 years ago. I've received very sparse communication, essentially none in the last year. Any thoughts?
aterren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Out Two Type I's Reply with quote

nucleon wrote:

Sent Jack TWO type I's in 2012 or 13...yes, 4-5 years ago. I've received very sparse communication, essentially none in the last year. Any thoughts?

I hate say this, but have you checked the obits?
davhamm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Out Two Type I's Reply with quote

aterren wrote:
nucleon wrote:

I hate say this, but have you checked the obits?

His website was updated May 1st 2017 http://www.timewise.us/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: