The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CURTA Type 1 --- #2945 --- December 1947... need your help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philippe F

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: CURTA Type 1 --- #2945 --- December 1947... need your help Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is Philippe and I have this Curta Type 1 since my grandfather died 25 years ago and I found it in his desk.

I think this is a quite rare model because I can't find any Curta pictures with the exact same setting knobs.

I'm not sure Ebay is the right place to sell this but in the other hand I never really sold anything valuable there.

If you wanted to sell this Curta, what would be your best move?
(price and method)

Thanks,

davhamm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it to me for $100... lol

Do you know how it works? does it work? Do the 10's carry test.

I would video that, and sell on ebay with lots of pics and link to video.

Set reserve it you want to ensure some minimum, but from the few pics you have posted, I think you will get a good price on ebay.

Well, thinking a bit more, you will have zero feedback so that will limit who is willing to take the chance on buying from you. which means it may put some downward push on the price.
AJP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay will give you the biggest number of potential buyers, but also require the big sellers fee! You will sell it for good money if you are willing to post it to another country. You need good photos and to make sure it functions properly

selling via this forum would be good and avoid a sellers fee.

Personally I would give you £1,000 for this curta if you sent it to the UK, it looks nice and original and is obviously quite an early example, I have another very similar.

Hope that helps you
Philippe F

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone here for your advices!
Thanks also for all the PM offers I received but according to curta.li I can get quite more.

I had a hard time understanding how the Curta works to do the 10's carry test, but I finally managed to and it works perfectly.

@AJP : What do you mean by big sellers fee ? When I use the Ebay fee calculator, chosing : Collectibles > Science & Medicine (1930-Now) > Scientific Instruments
I got a final value fee of 186$. Do I forget something?
AJP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you haven't missed anything, I just think it's a big fee. But as I say, it does give you the biggest audience.

Good luck with the sale, I'm sure we will all be interested to hear what you sell it for.
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely based on your photographs and description I think that you have slightly overestimated the condition (unless it has had an unmentioned service, the missing knob caps are present, etc) but it does seem to be a sellers market at the moment.

I would build up some feedback on eBay before putting it on there it you want to achieve the best price. It is hit-and-miss, you may get a bidding war if advertised well. As said, other online services have lower fees than eBay but a smaller audience.

The price guideline calculator is quite encouraging, it indicates that I have at least doubled my money on 6394. Very Happy
davhamm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you might get that, but the can is in not best shape, and the missing pins, low feedback as a seller you might not get that, but the market seems to be HOT right now. I would think you could get 1500. But hey you might get $2000.

Seller fee's on ebay, really are not that high, if you ever ran a business and saw what marketing, advertising, costs. For the home guy who thinks putting it on craigslist is advertising, yeah ebay is more. Also don't forget paypal will take a cut.

You might get luck and someone local will see the auction and offer cash.
davhamm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy... I just looked at sold auctions on Ebay, this is crazy. I want to change my comments (except for the concern of a 0 feedback seller) this thing now might go for more than $2k.

This market seems INSANE. might have to sell one of mine.
eteson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! yes the market is hot! I am tempted to sell my cut curta...
Philippe F

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks all for your advices,

My Curta will be on eBay in a few hours (9pm/GMT+1)
I took time to decide what to do because I discovered at the same time what a wonderful machine I had... but, life made the choice easier : I really need the cash right now.
eteson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2155 US $ not bad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: