The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D Printed Curta Calculators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: 3D Printed Curta Calculators Reply with quote

I have decided I will actually produce some 3D Printed Curta Calculators to sell.

If you're wondering why the change of heart, I have been taken in my half brother after some family emergencies which has added unexpected costs. We're handling that, but I need a new car (mine is approaching 15 years old) and I have a reservation for a Tesla Model 3 which is priced a bit higher than I would normally spend on a car. I don't want to give up the Tesla so this will basically be my funding campaign for its down payment.

I will be asking $1500 USD per Curta. Each Curta will be finished with numbering and painting. The base plate will be customized for each customer similar to what I had done for Adam Savage's and each will have a sequential serial number.

If you would like a box (like what I had built for Adam Savage) to go with it, I will be working with cocobolo studio (https://www.etsy.com/shop/cocobolostudio) to produce those. His cost will be my cost.

I have not determined all of the shipping details yet. I expect I will most likely ship via USPS, but I can work with you to figure out the most economic method.

I expect to take a few months on each Curta, but there will not be any timing guarantee since I am building these on spare time which may fluctuate.

I am planning to use Paypal for payment. If you have another suggestion, I will consider it. I currently do not have a storefront, but I will be working on one.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply here or send me a private message.
murff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a great job with this 3D-printed Curta Exclamation

I would order one if the material was metal instead of plastic.

All 3:1 data are ready and I assume that the production of a small run would be technically and commercial feasible. I would offer this also as a DIY kit (with some dedicated tools) - so the assembly would be a great experience.

The reason for this suggestion is that 3D-printed stuff is not really durable and it would be great that we could use it as long as a normal sized Curta!

As an additional suggestion I would prefer the old style rounded metal crank...
2010*smiths

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that to machine each component from metal might be prohibitively expensive, but I could be wrong.
mwu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some checking, and you are correct, smiths. Just the main body would cost almost as much as I am charging for the entire 3d printed Curta. Maybe if I build myself a CANC mill or lathe (or both) I could eventually pull it off.

I also have some ideas for a 1:1 scale Curta in metals close to the originals by using a combination of additive and subtractive manufacturing techniques, but that is an entirely different project that will take some time to research and experiment with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: