The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a reapairable issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcarter1234

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Is this a reapairable issue? Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Curta Type II with one known issue and a second that I was not aware of.

It has a bent main shaft. The bend is approximately 15 degrees. The crank rotates smoothly and will function as it should in the upper subtractive position. The bend is sufficient to keep it from going all the way down into the normal additive position. The bottom of the crank hits the top of the clearing lever pivot so I have not been able to test that function.

It appears from some searching that a bent main shaft was common enough for instructions to be printed regarding how to straighten one. I'm inclined to attempt to straighten it. Does anyone have any personal experience in doing so? Do you recommend it?

The second problem will likely cause me to return it. As I mentioned I can so far only test it with the crank in the raised subtractive position. With all the setting knobs in the upper zero position one crank of the handle subtracts 10 from the product rather than subtracting nothing. So for example if I set 140 and do one turn of the crank the machine will subtract 150 instead. If the first setting knob is in any number from 1-9 the result is correct after one crank. Additional turns make matters worse.
Setting of 143
1 turn will subtract 143, correct.
2 turns subtract 396, 110 too much.
3 turns subtract 549, 120 too much.
4 turns subtract 792, 220 too much.
5 turns subtract 1945, 1230 too much.
6 turns subtract 2198, 1340 too much.
This does not sound easily correctable. Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brent
mwu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the carry levers are not being triggered correctly. Subtraction is handled through addition. One off errors are usually because one digit does not carry to the next making the result one less in that digit than it should be.

One thing to check is to ensure that the upper carriage can seat completely down against the rest of the calculator.
bcarter1234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. It sounds like it needs servicing as opposed to a simple adjustment.

Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: