The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curta II Clearing Ring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sillyfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Curta II Clearing Ring Reply with quote

I purchased a near mint Curta II recently (my first) and am having trouble understanding the clearing ring operation.

I understand that you can rotate 80/100 degrees to clear one register and then go an additional 100/80 degrees to clear the second register.

If I want to clear one register multiple times (leaving the other intact) in a row, it requires me to be able to clear in alternating CW and CCW directions.

This does not seem to be possible with my unit. Is this correct?
sillyfreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to rotate the clearing ring in the CCW direction, but not by using the actual clearing ring, but instead grabbing the upper clearing "disk" and rotating it CCW. When using the clearing ring in the CCW direction, it just folds it back to the stowed position.

I guess I was looking for a method to get the clearing ring to "lock" into its extended position to allow CW and CCW rotation using just the ring in its extended position.

BTW, I assume the clearing ring is the most often (by a long shot) damaged part of the device. Everything else is rock solid, but I get very nervous when retracting/folding/rotating the clearing ring Smile.
murff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clearing lever should be snap into the clearing lever positioning plunger (release bolt). Then it should be possible to turn the clearing disc in both directions without any force - and without snapping back the clearing lever to its rest position (If not - the clearing lever is maybe worn)
sillyfreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you found my problem. There is no "snap" when the clearing lever/ring engages with the clearing lever positioning plunger (release bolt).

Not sure it is worth trying to replace since other than this issue, it seems to be in perfect condition.
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with the Frenchman's prices anyway! If you want a new plastic CL I'll sell you one for a lot less than $75, cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: