The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curta Type II s/n 524151

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
answerguru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Curta Type II s/n 524151 Reply with quote

Hello!

So after years of searching, I finally purchased one of my dream objects, a Curta. Everything below is written as a relative Curta novice, although I've read a lot, have been an engineer for 30 years, part of which was work on very complex biomedical robotics and MRI systems. I'm not afraid to take anything apart and put it back together. Hopefully with no extra screws optimized out!

This Type II was found by a friend at a pawn shop and they were asking $800. I drove up there and on visual inspection it looked quite nice, with not a ton of wear. It included the metal case and a leather holder. However when I ran some of the test calculations, I noticed that not everything was in working and there was a loose part inside. Yikes! It did perform most calculations properly, but the last output digit would often roll to a 9 for no reason.

I used what I found to negotiate with the owner and finally was able to walk out with it for $400 USD. I have recently taken the bottom and shell off, just to do some inspection. The loose part was the brass bottom of one of the input shafts, which I slipped back into place. Here's what I have found:

Input digit sliders are sticky, hence a general service
    Bottom plate is missing one of the 2 long screws
    Cam preventing reverse cranking has come off. The screw holding the cam has sheared off and the spring may not be correct.
    One of the small plates that hold the bottom of the input sliders in place is missing. I have added a small piece of tape to hold the brass ends in place.
    The last output digit sometimes shows a 9, when it should be a 0 after an operation. The two gears on top of the shaft for that digit don't seem to stay positioned properly.
    The crank will occasionally get stuck during a revolution.

Here is a link to some photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1--OtuCovbL9EGLHtemwGq4xT1pHjG3Ms?usp=sharing

Just today I have emailed three places for possible repair discussions:
Curta Service in Switzerland, Bernd Schroeder in Germany, and Marc Pellacoeur in France. The website for the Italian repair guy is no longer operational.

Any expert opinions, thoughts, and rants are welcome!

Thanks,
Jonny
murff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman's website works perfectly:

International Curta Repair

(Avoid the Curta service in Switzerland - why? ...read the forum)
answerguru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it works perfectly on mobile, but on 2 different browsers on my laptop there is an SSL mismatch and is blocked (even if I add an exception for the site).

Anyway, thanks! I will email Roman.
RAPA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romano is operational, I had a Type II inspected a few weeks ago.

And he usually responds right away.

romano.manaresi@fastwebnet.it
answerguru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAPA wrote:
Romano is operational, I had a Type II inspected a few weeks ago.

And he usually responds right away.

romano.manaresi@fastwebnet.it

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

I'm going to forward my original request to this email just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: