The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unreflective contributions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Unreflective contributions Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder if it makes sense to post something interesting here or answer a question.
There are currently 951 users registered here, many of whom have never contributed anything.

I am not interested in praise, but rather in a dialogue and feedback, only in this way the topic Curta can be grasped in all its facets.
I'm also not a moderator or anything special here - I just wrote most of the posts here, also learned extremely much.

Here are some unreflective posts:

Curta advertising

Numbers

This is a nice CURTA

0 0 6 4 5 4 3 2 - The magic number

More about the Base plate Curta Type 1...

ouvenirs, souvenirs, souvenirs, ...

PS: it would also be nice if I received a little feedback on a reply as well - a lot of people just forget these....

Cool
Chris in Japan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unreflective contributions Reply with quote

Hi, murff! How are you doing?

I could not leave your „Unreflected contributions“ without a reflection… Surprised)

I mean with it rather a self-reflection why participation and exchange could be low. Just sharing thoughts and anything else…

- Curtas are compared to many other popular hobbies a rather exotic one. It is challenging I guess for any forum dedicated to Curtas to achieve momentum and generate a steady flow of posts

- Curtas are for me fascinating but at the same time intimidating due the complexity of their mechanism. I have a one single Curta (the type Ia you may remember) and have few other things I collected like vintage Harleys, Wurlitzer jukeboxes, vintage PCs, old radios… In most of them I was brave enough to unskilled open and repair things but I would never dare to open a Curta!

- I have just one Curta and had with it rather little to contribute. I could tell in the past about having lived just in front of the location where Contina was to be found and my exchanges per mail with Elmar Meier, the engineer who worked in Contina and led the Ia project. Both events added the „magic“ behind my only and beloved Curta

- last but not least, the two last years became some sort of challenging with lockdowns, fears, confusion, war, so I guess many of us face in a certain extent fluctuations in mood, behaviour…

I am just chatting here and being reflective. I am grateful to the group and the forum that I occasionally visit to read in a selfish way the contributions that other ones do and is some sort of harbor that I know I can reach when I have a question or a need for help.

Thankful to you for your patient contributions and the whole group for being “there”!

A nice week continuation to everyone. Keep healthy and enjoy your hobbies! Carpe diem!
murff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian, thank you for your thoughts!

There is no reason to be a member of this forum unless you want to post or ask a question.
My thinking goes in the direction that every member should have the desire to express themselves here. Be it just to say "this is an interesting consideration..." or "I own this Curta, the story behind it is...".

Chatter a little - and give the other visitors a little insight...
curtaschweiz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello murff,

I will try to be a little more active here in the forum in the future. I am grateful that this forum exists and should be supported.

Greetings Mathias
murff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great!

And it would be nice if you could rethink your position on "CURTA" as a trademark!

Thanks

Cool
opensourcefan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to chat more with like minded people in respect to Curta's however this board is really really inactive. Any sort of thread that would have blown up in hundreds of posts somewhere else gets a solid 10 posts here.

Murff you always respond to almost everything which is cool. However that's not always a good thing either. Especially if there are personality conflicts, it can kill the potential of a meaningful conversation immediately.

This board is also low tech. One can't post a link without somehow getting access to do so. Upon first visit, it's very obvious this board is about something that is very niche. That might be fine for us older folks who watched the birth of forums but it's not going attract the young whippersnappers.

I think the solution would be, a thousand Curta's getting into the hands of new owners tomorrow which hopefully at least 25% of them will come to this upgraded board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: