The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are these Curta Parts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErichKeane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Are these Curta Parts? Reply with quote

I picked up a dirty Curta Type 2 on eBay that I'll likely end up sending into TimeWise (or to the Italian place if he cannot) that was working mostly ok, though had some sticky dials.

I unscrewed the bottom, but the plate was seized to the body, so I took the two together. However, when I did so, I noticed these 4 on my bench. Unless they were hiding on my bench, they must have come from the Curta. BUT, they don't seem to appear on any diagrams I can find.

They are small hollow tubes, .050"(1.27 mm) in diameter, and .157"(almost 4mm) long.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHyK1r4NHhdF6gQ38[/img]

Can anyone tell me where the go?

PS: no idea why the BBCode isn't workimg for the picture Sad
murff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These tubes are unknown to me - I do not know Curta parts like this....

Google or Dropbox don't work because they don't link to the images, they link to the page with the images....
Alternatively use an image hoster where the images can be displayed isolated to link them in the forum (e.g. https://postimages.org/)...

Last edited by murff on Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ErichKeane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, makes sense, thanks! I would have expected a 'broken' link in that case instead of just the bb code .

I wonder what these are then if not Curta parts. My bench wasn't clean, but this is my electrical/gunsmith bench, so this doesn't look like anything I've worked on in the past. I wonder if they came OUT of the Curta anyway, but were just 'junk' that the previous owner lost inside it!

This Curta looks to have spent a good amount of time in a woodshop of some sort, it was covered in fine sawdust. It has a couple of the knurls on the top ring broken as well, so I think this was a reasonably well used Curta, I guess someone used it for math in their shop for a while.

I sprayed it down with electrical contact cleaner, then touched some of the sliders with CLP which had it working reasonably for a while. I suspect it needs a much better cleaning/oiling. I contacted Timewise to see if he's up for it, else I might consider doing it myself/shipping it to the guy in Italy. I can usually handle stuff of this type, but recognizing when something isn't 'right' is the tough part here, as I haven't worked on one of these before.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Lets try the pic again Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: