The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

white rust?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: white rust? Reply with quote

Hello, I just bought a Type II Curta off of eBay, and I'm a bit concerned about the condition of the machine. One other bidder noticed that the pictures showed the Curta as not particularly shiny. The handle especially looked rather filmy. The seller said that the Curta was actually shiny, and the problem was with the pictures. He said he would guarantee this, money back if not satisfied.

I just got the Curta, and it is not shiny. There's a fine white film on the handle and on the clearing ring. a coworker called this "white rust".

Can this be cleaned off easily, or should I just return the machine as "not in the condition advertised"?

Thanks!

Kelly in Madison WI
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly,

The rust is probably aluminum oxide.

Most aluminum on the Curta is black anodized. The rust you see is likely do to extreme humidity that has attacked areas of the crank handle that had the anodizing worn off.

The oxidation can be removed, but what remains underneath cannot be determined without an inspection. Replacement knurled crank knobs are available, and entire metal crank handles for the Type II are also available.

What worries me is the condition inside the machine. It would seem likely that the machine is in need of a good cleaning and re-lubrication. The cost to do this on a "dirty" Type II can range from $175 to $255. This assumes nothing is broken.

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: