The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index The Curta.org Bulletin Board
Welcome to the Curta.org Information Exchange Forum for the Curta Enthusiast Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uniqueness / demand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davhamm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Uniqueness / demand Reply with quote

With the price estimator offline. Was trying to get an idea of what things / features / models are unique (carry some level of increased demand) though its really hard to say there is any real "Demand" for Curta's. Not looking for kits like the green box, or even cut aways.

Some easy things I think I can get through (well probably not) - Cans
Highest uniqueness is the metal reverse twist can (3 variations)
then metal with curta engraved (3 variations)
Metal with sticker label
Plastic with sticker label
Looks like I missed some 8 known variations https://curta.li/01_type1/05_curta1_var61.html

Then there is the leather holder. Not sure I think there are 4 types Type 1 and type II that hold with and without cans??

Onto the machines (unique features that probably have an impact on value)
TYPE 1
Labels -
"Contina"
"Curta"
Curta

Knobs
pins
rectangles

Clearing ring
metal
Plastic
There are other unique features if your trying to get one of each (arrow, reverse ring color) but not sure if any of these "add substantial? value"
Serial number
Prime?
Twin Primes?

Type II's
Body Color
Black body (all black slider knobs}
Grey body (do they 2 different red knob patterns change value?)

Clearing ring
metal
plastic
murff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Curta is a priceless technical marvel...

About the cans... They are not as hard connected (also in a physical sense...) as other specific characteristics of a Curta. So, it's not possible to assign a type of canister to an exact range of serial numbers.

The other named characteristics (the different versions during the whole period of production) are not significant factors to influence the price, an average buyer (nor the seller) of a Curta doesn't know about it. Even if your write in the description "rare" because of characteristic XYZ - there is no influence. So, these characteristics are only relevance in a historical/"more scientific" context.

The only thing what most sellers seems to know is that lower numbers are getting higher prices...

PS: no direct relation to my previous discussed (and no longer published) "Curta Type I & II Price guideline". It was mainly focused to the state of a Curta (of a given range of numbers).

...that's why I'm so fascinated by them - independent of every commercial marked value!
murff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... an example:

This Curta was sold for US$1525.00

This Curta was sold for US$390.00

(based on records of eBay sales)
davhamm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting perspective.

One I don't share, but you I have never agreed on pricing discussions on this forum.

On the cans an estimated range can and you have made one on your site. Sure a can can get moved, but if a Type 1 with a serial number in the 50,000 showed up with a "CURTA" system can clearly it is not the original can. Just like if a serial number 10,000 showed up with a plastic can you would know it's not the original can.
davhamm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murff wrote:

PS: no direct relation to my previous discussed (and no longer published) "Curta Type I & II Price guideline". It was mainly focused to the state of a Curta (of a given range of numbers).

I disagree, it was one of the ways I used your pricing guide. You even contradict yourself if you go look at the previous thread on it, as you assigned a higher value to the (guessing here 30K ranged serial numbers) over lower serial numbers due to there unique features. (or something like that would have to go look at your exact response in that thread).

Anyhow. wonder if other's think unique characteristics add value. Would you pay more for 2 curta's within 100 serial numbers if say one had the plastic crank vs metal crank or one was the pin vs rectangle sliders?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Curta.org Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Questions and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: